18

"And for some god damned reason, from the moment you saw past my inner demons, I knew I'd never be able to shake you off

"And for some god damned reason, from the moment you saw past my inner demons, I knew I'd never be able to shake you off."

BUCKY

The training room fell silent, Emilia's words hanging in the air for what felt like an eternity. They were frozen, trying to process the connotation behind what she had said.

But then Nadine finally snapped.

"What the fuck do you mean, compromised?!" she screeched, her brown eyes seemingly raging with a fire that was just asking for something to burn. "What were they even doing?!"

"You know how Dante said he was going to Italy," Emilia's voice was trembling. Her doe eyes were wide with fear, and she was clearly trying to hold back tears. "He just sent an SOS and said that he found the Hand."

Nadine suddenly paled, her shoulders hunching as her anger seemed to disappear. "The, the Hand?"

Bucky could've sworn there was something in her voice. Fear, maybe? He couldn't blame her. She'd mentioned once that Jameson wanted her to join the Hand, so knowing Dante and Taj were captured by them... let's just say he understood why she'd be terrified.

"What did he say exactly, Emilia?" he questioned, attempting to keep control over the situation. He and Dante may have had a complex relationship, but that still didn't mean Bucky wasn't gonna help find him. And no matter their relationship, he did like Taj, so he'd still help just because of him.

Emilia took a deep breath to keep herself calm. "He said he and Taj got a lead on the Hand, but the Hand found them first. They were on their way to get them, and the call got cut off."

"He was supposed to stay away from them... he promised!" Nadine seemed stuck between wanting to shoot something or scream into the heavens. "He promised me he'd stay away from the Hand."

Okay, things were escalating and quickly.

"Let's just try to come up with a plan. Emilia, do Fong and Kaia know?"

The Colombian swallowed hard and shook her head, trying her best to keep her shit together. "I came here as soon as the call ended."

"Well, then, you should let them know," Nadine said, finally calming down enough to focus. "While you do that, James and I will start getting things ready. Okay?"

Emilia nodded and quickly left to do as she was told, not even bothering to utter a reply. Bucky felt sorry for her; he couldn't even begin to comprehend whatever was going through her head right now. The closest thing would've had to have been all those times Steve did something reckless during the war: despite knowing that he was physically no longer the Steve he grew up with, Bucky always worried that he'd get himself killed.