Chapter One

"Hey, Tyra, did you see that new kid?" Katelyn asks her best friend. "Yeah, he was in my first period. Why?" Tyra responds, still looking down at her homework. "I dunno. I just think he's kind of cute..." Katelyn says with a smirk. "You got a boyfriend. I'll tell Jason what you said," Tyra says with a giggle. "I doubt Jason will care," Katelyn tells Tyra with a slight laugh. "Stop crushing on other guys, Katelyn. Jason is the one for you, and you know that!" Tyra exclaims. "Whatever. You sound like a jealous girlfriend," Katelyn says. "I don't even know the kid. Now let me concentrate," Tyra argues. Katelyn just laughs and stays quiet, lowering her own pencil to write.
The next morning, both Katelyn and Tyra awoke tiredly. Tyra yawned slowly and Katelyn stretched before jumping out of bed. "You look like a mess, Tyra," Katelyn says sleepily. "Well, you were the one about to kick me off the bed," Tyra says back as she pulls off her shirt to change it. Katelyn throws a shirt at Tyra just as she was taking hers off. "What's this?" Tyra asks, holding the thing up. "It's my shirt that I want you to try on," Katelyn explains. "Oh... Alright," Tyra says and puts it on. The shirt was a light blue which matched Tyra's eyes and was made out of lace. "I kind of like it... Thanks, Katy," Tyra says. "No problem." Katelyn quickly changes into a dark purple shirt and a black skirt, as well as quickly putting her black hair into a bun. She smiles as Tyra follows her out of the house in her light blue shirt and white jeans.
Once arriving at school, two other girls approach Tyra and Katelyn. "Hey!" Dawn called out to the two. "Oh, hey Dawn, Ana," Tyra says. "How are you guys?" Ana asks. Katelyn just nods. "Actually pretty good. Tired, but good." Tyra says with her kind smile. Dawn laughs slightly and brushes her brown hair out of her face. "Well, we may as well g-" Tyra starts, but is cut off by three boys. "Hey, hot stuff," Derek says. Tyra just smiles and rolls her eyes. "Go away, Derek," Katelyn says and Jason approaches her. "And what do you want, Jason?" Katelyn asks, allowing him to put his arms around her waist. "Just wanted to say good morning to my girlfriend," Jason says and Katelyn kisses him. "Love you, too," Jason says once separating from her.
"Alright, c'mon you two. We have to go to class," Ana says. Jason releases Katelyn from his grip around her waist. "Well, see ya guys after class then," Tyra says and begins to walk into school. "Bye!" they all call to her. Tyra quickly navigates her locker and classroom. She notices she's early and the only other kid in class was the new kid. Tyra decides to walk over to him and introduce herself.
She stops in the front of his desk. "Hey," she says calmly and the kid looks up from his book. "Oh..... Hi..." His voice is quiet. "I'm Tyra," she introduces herself with a smile. "Leo..." he responds, introducing himself. "Where are you from? Haven't seen you around here," Tyra asks. Leo looks up at Tyra and then back at he ground. "I'm from California.." he says, the fear quickly leaving his voice. "That's awesome! I've always wanted to visit California, I just have no reason," she says with a giggle. Leo laughs too. "It's not very impressive, honestly.." he says. He runs his hand through his dark brown hair and his deep brown eyes shimmer in the sunlight coming into the room. He is cute... Tyra thought. Leo smiled at her before his eyes landed on the teacher just entering the room. "Ms. Adams, please have a seat," the teacher said. Tyra turned around and nodded before turning back toward Leo. She gave him a little wave and then went to sit down. "Thank you," the teacher said with a little smile. "Of course, Mrs. Garter," Tyra says politely.
Math class goes by quickly, as for Mrs. Garter has always made things easy for her students. She never assigns homework for them and doesn't get frustrated very easily. The bell rang loudly to signal the students to get up from their seats and leave. Most left in a hurry, but Tyra always stays to say goodbye. "Bye, Mrs. Garter! I'll see you tomorrow." "Bye Tyra, and I'll be looking forward to teaching you," Mrs. Garter says sweetly. Tyra smiles at her and then leaves the classroom. She walks down the hallway into science and sits beside Dawn. She watches as Leo walks in as well and sits in the back. "So...." Tyra hears Dawn say. "So what?" she asks Dawn. "I saw you eyeing him," Dawn says with a smirk. "Yeah, he's actually pretty nice. Shy, but kind," Tyra tells her. "If you say so. Anyway, Umbra and I were going out tonight and were wondering if you wanted to come," Dawn suggested. "Third-wheeling you and your girlfriend? No thanks," Tyra responds with a laugh. Dawn giggles too. "Okay, okay. That's understandable."
Katelyn walked in the classroom and sat beside Tyra. "Hey Katy. Something wrong?" Tyra asked. "No. Why would you think that?" Katelyn answers, obviously angry about something. "It's sort of obvious.." Tyra responds. "Okay, fine. Ms. Igolie gave us way too much homework over the weekend," Katelyn complains. "Wish you had Mrs. Garter?" Tyra asks with her little giggle. "Hell yeah I do. She's a lot better than Ms. Igolie any day..." Katelyn says. "Oh yeah. Tyra, tell Katelyn about him," Dawn says, putting emphasis on the end of her sentence. "Oh, yeah.. I met that new kid. His name was Leo and turns out he moved here from California." "Why would be move here? It's cold and miserable," Katelyn says. "It's pretty nice today," Ana intervenes, placing herself beside Dawn. "Holy shit, you scared me," Dawn says as Ana places her hand on Dawn's shoulder. "Heh... Sorry about that," Ana says, laughing a bit.
Their science teacher enters the room and looks around at the students. "Hmm... We are definitely missing someone," he says. "Mr. Qin, I think that Daisha is missing," Tyra tells him. "Yeah, I heard she got sick today," Katelyn adds. "Oh, okay. Thank you girls," Mr. Qin says. They both nod and Tyra grins. Science class also seems to go by quickly, not much occurring in the past hour. They all leave the room with Tyra waving goodbye to Mr. Qin. Jason meets the girls half way to lunch. "Hey Katelyn," he says and he grabs her hand. "Tyra, Dawn, and Ana," Jason continues. Katelyn looks at Jason and grips his hand as they walk outside. "So, how was class guys?" Jason asks the girls as Derek walks up to them all. "It was alright for me," Derek says as he slides in between Katelyn and Ana. "I can't complain," Ana says, moving out of the way for Derek. Tyra just sighs happily. "Today was pretty good," she says after her sigh. "That's because you found your soulmate," Katelyn says with a smirk. "Shut up... I barely even know him," Tyra argues, rolling her eyes. She notices Leo looking at her from his book and she smiles at him. Their eyes meet a quick second, but Leo looks away almost immediately. "But.. Maybe I'll try to get to know him better."