Chapter Twenty One

"It's two in the fucking morning, you better have a good reason to why you're here" I grunt as I open the door. Calum's all dressed in his pj's and has a smile on his face the moment I open the door, while I on the other hand look like a piece of shit.

"We always have sleepovers on Mondays, it makes them more bearable" he reminds me.

"Thought you'd be naked in Darcy's bed by now" I reply with a smirk.

"That was actually a couple hours ago" he says with a wink. I roll my eyes in response and usher him inside, although being summer in Australia means that it's really hot outside as well as in. "Alex, what's Mikey doing here?" he asks once he sees Mikey's body on the couch.

"He was here earlier so I told him to just sleep over and he could use your clothes in the morning" I tell Cal.

"I trust you with my clothes and this is what you do" he says in mock pain as he ascends the staircase to my room. "Looks like I'm sleeping here" he states as he plops down on my bed.

"Or you could go home" I remind him, although we both know that he's not going home anytime soon.

"Can you just get your ass into bed, I'm tired!" he whines, holding his arms out for me to go into.

I smile as I lie down on the bed and have his arms around me. Usually I rest my head on his chest as he rests his head on top of mine, but tonight we find ourselves staring right at each other with only the light from outside streaming in. We both say nothing as we simply look at each other in a comfortable silence.

"Any news about the adoption?" Calum finally asks, knowing that we've been waiting a while.

"We're having someone inspect the house and I know they're going to pass, so after that I'm staying for good!" I rave excitedly, making Calum smile in excitement as well.

"I told you you'd stay! I knew it" he says as he carcasses my cheek.

"Do you believe in love?" he randomly asks after a while, taking me by surprise.

"You already know my answer Cal, no I don't" I sadly remind him, although I don't think he really forgot, he's probably thinking about the girl he loves. Which might be me, or it might be the girl he slept with last night, or his ex-girlfriend who's his date to the lame school dance, or maybe even some new girl.

"But why not? You don't have a valid reason" he states more firmly, demanding an answer from me.

"Because there will always be someone who's smarter, thinner, and prettier than me. I can't imagine a guy being faithful to me and only loving me, so why should I waste my time trying to be faithful to him? Plus I like a lot of guys and I assume guys like a lot of girls, so why be held onto one person until you're ready to start a family" I try my best to explain.

"Because that's love. We take risks and we learn from them. If someone cheats, you know to end the relationship, but there's also a chance that the other will end up being the one you marry" he says.

"But why be in one relationship for such a long time? Why not wait to be with that person till you're older?" I retort.

"Again, because it's love! That means that you can't picture yourself with anyone else and that person makes you so happy that you can't help but be with them. I don't believe everyone finds love, but those who are lucky enough to find it should keep their loved one close" he replies, leaving me speechless. Calum caresses my cheek again and places his forehead against mine. "I want to believe in love so badly" he whispers.

"After all you've said why don't you?" I now ask.

"Because... I honestly can't think of a reason. I've never been in love and the idea just seems so unreal. Maybe that's all love is, just an idea" he admits, leaving us both staring at each other, trying to contemplate it at 2 in the morning.

"Than believe in it. Just because you believe in it doesn't mean you're in love" I state. He nods and looks in my eyes again.

"If I love anyone, I think I love you the most" he says, since he doesn't know that I was awake the last time he told me he loved me.

"I know" I say before leaning in the necessary inch to make our lips touch. This time I don't stop the kiss.

Calum removes his hand from my cheek and places it around my waist as I do the same. The taste of his lips is something I could of never imagined before. Kissing him made me understand the whole point of kissing. It felt as if for those short minutes we were one person. His hands creep up my shirt, but not in a sexual manner, in a way to be closer to each other. "I love you" I mumble into the kiss, feeling those words escape my lips before having it process in my brain.

"I love you more Alex" Calum says as we break the kiss. He places one more peck on my lips before pulling me in and allowing me to rest on his chest like we usually do. Soon he starts humming 'All Of The Stars' by Ed Sheeran, a song Luke and I made him listen to a few days ago.

"What are you doing?" I ask, unfamiliar with his gesture.

"I'm about to sing the girl I love to sleep. Is that a bad thing?" he asks. Although his head's above mine I know that he has smirk on his face.

"It's extremely cheesy, but no I think she'll love it" I respond, making him laugh at how I talked in third person before continuing to sing.