Chapter Twenty-Five

"I feel like I'm crazy" I tell Karen as we walk into the 'behavioural hospital' as it says.

"You're not crazy, you've just been through a lot" she assures me before taking a deep breath and signing me in.

"Excuse me where's the bathroom?" I ask the front desk as Karen gets the necessary paperwork to fill.

"Down the hall to the right" the lady tells me. I follow her directions and go to the unisex bath room to blow my nose. I kind of have to pee too, so I close the door only to find out that there's no lock. Great I really am crazy.

As I walk back down the hall I can't help but notice scary looking machines in each room. Ever since moving here I've never really been in a scary situation without Calum, so not having him here with me is killing me. I just need to feel his arm around me, or his hand in mine, or even his voice. Just something. Once I sit down next to Karen as she fills out the little paperwork, I take out my phone to call Cal.

"Hey babe what's up?" he asks after the second ring.

"Nothing just waiting to go in" I tell him. It's almost as if I could see him smile on the other end. He's really happy that I'm getting help and that I'll be happier, even though I never show my depressed side around him.

"Don't be scared. She's probably going to ask you some personal questions, but that's only to get to know you and know how to help you. Nothing bad will happen to you" he reassures me, probably hearing the nervousness in my voice.

"Thanks Cal. There wasn't even a lock on the bathroom" I tell him, using it as a way to inform him of how I feel like I'm crazy just being here.

"Well it is a mental hospital, they obviously will have people with deadly mental illnesses" he says. I sigh as Karen users me to follow her to the elevator.

"I have to go its time to go see her" I explain as we go up the elevator.

"I can't wait to see you tonight. I love you" he adds.

"I love you too Cal, bye" I say before hanging up.

"You two are adorable" Karen exclaims as we sit in yet another waiting room for the therapist.

"He's just my best friend" I tell her, trying my best to hide my blush, but her squealing tells me it's not working.

"Alexandra Dyar" a petite lady with blonde hair calls from the opening. We both stand up and follow her down the hall and into her office. "I'm Rachel, how are you" she asks.

"I'm fine" I say, observing the books that are stacked behind her.

"So can one of you tell me about Alex's past? I know you're her soon to be adopted mother but what happened?" she asks. I nod to Karen to tell her to explain.

"Alex's mom died in a car crash three years ago. She was taken to a therapist then, but then her father started making poor decisions such as alcohol, substance, and drug abuse. He was caught and Alex was then put in a foster home since she doesn't have any god parents. Alex was kicked out of four foster homes before ending up in my house since they had no place else to send her without shipping her too far away. Despite all of this, she's a great kid. She has straight A's, is in almost all honour classes, and is an amazing musician" Karen informs her.

"Then what made you decide that she needed therapy?" Rachel asks.

"She's with her best friend Calum a lot and they often sleepover with each other. They both came to me one day and Calum told me about this recurrent nightmares Alex has been having. He said he did a lot of research and he thinks that Alex might have PTSD from everything she has gone through" Karen clarifies. Rachel nods in response and writes something down in her computer.