22회

Eun Jisoo; Bridge Outside Her House

"I like you," he said plainly as he flashed a sweet smile, "And I need you. I don't think I want to let this minute go to waste without you." I gulped at his sudden confession as I felt my head spin in confusion.

My heart started to beat uncomfortably as I looked into his eyes, not knowing what to say, "I-I can't." His face changes and all I see is confusion, "What do you mean?"

"I'm sorry," I breathed out as I put one foot behind the other, slightly backing up, "I don't return those feelings. And the timing is all wrong. I don't even know what love is. I-I." I couldn't say any more than that. Suddenly my mouth didn't want to respond.

"It's okay," he spoke but I knew he was probably hurt with my answer, he chuckled lightly as he looked to the side, "I knew you would say that. Anyways, now that I've said it, you should go back inside. I need to get back too."

We don't say anything as we part and when he turned around, facing the other end of the bridge. I face the other way and walk away just like that. I didn't want to turn around, afraid I would feel even more guilty for what I had said.

xxxxx

My hands search for the noise in the dark as I heard the OST Hyungsik had sung. I blinked my eyes open. It was only 5 in the morning, I wasn't ready for any calls that early. I glared at my phone to see who had called and picked it up quickly.

"Sir?" I asked as I waited for the person on the other end reply. There are slight pants as the man calmed himself down, "That idiot! I can't get into his place and I can't find him anywhere else! He needs to get up for work but for some reason, I'm worried. He almost always gets up for work at this time and asks me for what he's supposed to do today."

"Hyungsik?" I bit my lip as my heart dropped, suddenly remembering the event of his confession, "Is he okay? Where is he?" Mr. Kim sighed, "I just told you. I don't know. The lights are still on in his place. He didn't call in sick or anything. He changed the password to his place and I don't know what it is."

I jumped out of bed quietly as I grabbed my clothes from my closet, listening to the older rant about what he thinks is Hyungsik's password. I wash up quickly and change, half listening to the man.

"Hello? Are you still there?" he asked through the phone as I flinched a little while I slipped on my shoes and exited my house with my keys in my hand, "Oh yeah. Well, I'm going to go to his place and try to make him open the door so I need to hang up now. Bye."

I jumped into my car and started the engine, driving away in the dim light of the city. I know he probably wouldn't open the door for me so I quickly gave him a call but no answer. Just then, Yisoon called so I picked up.

"Hello-"

"What happened to Hyungsik?" she asked as I frowned, "What?" She groaned on the other side of the phone, "Mr. Kim asked me if I've gotten any texts or calls from him just as I was about to fall back to sleep. It's 5 in the morning!"

"I don't know what happened to him," I spoke as I drove carefully, knowing being in a call could potentially get me distracted, "I can't reach him either." There is silence in the call before Yisoon continued calmly, "Did something happen last night?"

"Why?" I asked as I suddenly felt hot and nervous, "Did he say something?" Yisoon sighed as she clicked her tongue, "He called around dinner and asked me a question." I bit my lip before speaking, "What did he say?"

"He asked me when my birthday was before proceeding with the question, 'When's Jisoo's birthday?' so I told him," Yisoon probably knew something was going on as she continued, "You said something to him right? What happen yesterday?"

"Well we hung out for a while and talked-"

"Did he confess to you?" she asked, being super straightforward. I gulped as my grip around the steering wheel tightened, "Yeah. But it was after. Before I went to sleep, he called me out and confessed to me. I rejected him-"

"Right away? Won't that hurt his pride a lot?" she groaned as I could imagine her shaking her head, "You should've thought about it or something. Anyways, get to his place now and try to put in your birthday as his password."

"Why would it be?" I asked as I turned into the street he lived on and parked outside before taking my phone with me, "Just do it. Call me if it doesn't work. I need sleep," and with that, she hung up.

I shoved my phone into my pocket as I walked up to his door and slid the cap off the lock, revealing the numbers. I pressed down his birthday first but that didn't work so I tried 1-9-9-2 and 1-9-9-1 but those didn't work. Finally, I pressed down 1-5-1-2 and the door unlocked with a quiet song.

I swung the door open and kicked my shoes off before looking straight in front of me. I let out a loud gasp as I saw his unconscious body on the floor, about 7 empty bottles of soju lying around his figure.

At that moment, I felt my heart drop and regret engulfing all my other emotions. Why was I so impatient with rejected his confession?