bickers and friends

Stepping out of his house, Calum felt less tense. More refreshed. Less trapped. He was on the porch when he heard the beep of a car.

"So, Calum," Harry Styles, one Calum's best friends, said once he was in the car. "Your birthday is coming up."

He was right. In just five days, he would officially be seventeen. "Yeah, but so is yours."

"In..." Harry used his fingers. "...More days than all my ten fingers put together."

"Then use your toes?"

"But I only said fingers, Cal. There's a big difference."

"Huge indeed." Calum nodded as Harry started the car. He was younger than Calum, yes, but unlike Calum, he passed his drivers test. He actually got his driver's license...unlike Calum.

"So, back to your birthday."

"Okay."

"O-kay?"

"Well, yeah. Okay."

"Whatever. I have your present already!"

"Do you now? Is it gonna be another skateboard?"

Last year, Harry had gotten Calum a skateboard for his birthday. Totally random, yeah, but Harry thought it was cool. Calum's parents never agreed with the skateboard. It almost sent Calum to the hospital.

Harry huffed. "No."

"Eh, close enough guess. Now tell me. What is it?"

"How about we wait 'till we get to school? I don't want you to be yelling in my ear and shaking me when you see it." Harry smirked at the thought of it, because, Calum will totally do that when he finds out.

"I'm going to wipe that smirk off of your face when I don't yell in your ear and shake you." Calum raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Are you challenging me, Hood?"

"Do you want a challenge, Styles?"

"Not really, no, last time your parents got me in trouble because 'I could have killed their only child' or something like that. I mean, I was only tickling you!" Calum laughed at the memory. He was red-faced, begging Harry for mercy while trying to catch his breath. His parents walked in, and they saw what was going on. Let's just say Harry isn't allowed in Calum's room anymore. But Calum is pretty good at pouting and making puppy dog eyes.

After finding a spot in the school's parking lot, Harry turned off his car and both boys got off. They started walking towards the main building. "Will you tell - show - me now?" Calum asked.

"Calm your tits, lady."

"I don't -"

"I know."

"And I'm not -"

"I know. It's like - a metaphor."

"...That only you use?"

"That people will use when I become famous."

"Keep dreaming, bud."

"I will, thanks."

"So?"

"So what?"

"Don't play stupid with me, Styles."

"Stop calling me by my last name!"

"Then tell me what it is now!"

"Someone's desperate," a voice spoke from behind the boys, startling them. They were halfway to the building. They stopped in the middle of their walk, arguing. The voice belonged to Kennedy Ruff, the girl in the trio of friends.