Chapter 10

People say that you are not supposed to see your child die before you. But mistakes happen and that is how my sister died. My mom was devastated and so was I. Even though I didn't like her, she was still my sister and I was still very sad. Not as bad as my mom was but it was still heart-breaking.

Autumn was 11 and I was 15. It was the middle of fall and my sister was riding a horse, a new thing that she likes to do and that's all my mom wanted was for her to be happy. Sometimes Autumn threw temper tantrums so bad that she had to "take a drive". My mom did anything to make Autumn happy. Anyways, she was taking the horse at a trot around the track when she came up to a turn. The horse lost control and made a sharp left and kicked up his hind legs. My sister went head-first into a wooden pole and instantly fell unconscious. We called 911 and got the ambulance. It was the first time I had ever been in one and I thought I would never have to be in this situation, watching my mother quake and cry over my sister's unconscious body on life support. I was fighting terror that my sister was going to die.

We got to the hospital and had to wait in the waiting room because they were trying desperately to keep her alive. I wondered how many people die in this hospital per day. The waiting room was as happy as could be, with Disney Channel playing on the tv and fish swimming freely in their tanks. Pictures of gorgeous landscapes on the walls and a play area where kids could play. No one was on it.

The doctor came out with the news no one wanted to hear an hour later. They had tried the best they could and they were terribly sorry. Of course you are.

We didn't have a funeral because we wanted to have her cremated and put in a jar to remember. We didn't want others walking on her grave in a cemetery that thousands of others were buried, complete strangers to her.

This is what popped into my head when he said Mason. Why? Because the horse's name was Mason.

$

After this thought went into my mind and I pondered it for a while, a tear developed in my eye.

"Why are you crying?" Anthony asked, "I just told you his name."

"It's personal."

"Oh sorry. So what are you going to do about the clues?"

"I'm going to get in trouble."

"Oh yeah? How?" He asked sarcastically.

"Food fight."