Chapter 28

Olivia ran off and I followed. In the distance I heard Mason shout, "Come back!" but we kept going. Eventually Olivia stopped at a couch and sat down. I sat down next to her.

"It's not fair," Olivia said with occasional sobs drowning her voice, "That I got to leave and no one else did. My friends were all gone. Just one day they took me out of my sleep and dragged me off to that place."

"I know how you feel."

"No you don't. You were one of the lucky ones, being held as prisoner. I had to work for them, being this evil person beating innocent people that I didn't even know. It turned me into a monster."

I was speechless, until I eventually said, "You think I liked being in that cell, with nothing to do all day and the occasional beating?"

"At least you got clean clothes!" We were shouting now.

"No I didn't! You think they had the decency to give me a shower or clean clothes?"

"I DIDN'T HAVE TO RESCUE YOU! I COULD HAVE BEEN PERFECTLY FINE DOING IT BY MYSELF, BUT I FELT BAD FOR YOU! YOU ARE NOT THE REASON I'M OUT OF THAT PLACE I GUARANTEE IT." She walked away with a flame in her eye. I fell asleep on that couch, still angry.

$

I woke up to Mason shaking me. "I heard what went on last night. She sounded really mad."

"She will get over it trust me."

"Whatever you say. She left last night and hasn't come back. Should you and I go on a lookout?"

"Yes." Even though I was mad, she still saved my life and I saved hers. I still felt a need to look for her. If she wasn't there to save me, I might have been dead.

$

We left in Mason's Dodge Challenger. I guess being the head of a secret corporation gets you some extra money. Mason said that the only thing she said was that she was going to a motel. So we checked some of the nearby motels. There was no one in any of them. Except one. There was yellow tape surrounding it, and a girl being carried off on a stretcher.