chapter twenty-seven: always running

I woke up the next morning and Ryder was quickly packing up all our things. I sat up, confused.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I asked groggily.

He looked up at me, his eyes wide and crazy.

"There's cops around here Bella." He stated. "I went to get breakfast and I saw a shitload of cop cars."

"Fuck." I jolted out of bed and paced around the room. "How? How did they even find us?"

"They haven't." Ryder replied calmly.

"They will." I ran my hands through my hair nervously. "They will."

"Not if we leave before they can." He told me as he handed me a pair of jeans and a shirt.

I took and and quickly changed in the bathroom as Ryder told me what he had planned.

"We just have to leave before they search the hotel." He explained as I pulled on my shirt. I managed to tame my hair, and I grabbed the rest of my bags as I headed out the door.

"Hey," Ryder said softly, reaching out to grab my hand. "We'll be alright."

"I hope so." I smiled weakly.

We peaked outside the door, and quietly put our bags in the car. I pulled out a hoodie from Ryder's suitcase, and tried my best to hide my face as I put it on. Ryder started the car, and we pulled out of the drive way, leaving behind a mob of police men who had no idea their wanted killer had just slipped out of their fingertips.

-

We drove, and drove, and drove. It seemed like we were gonna do this for a while. Run from place to place. Always running, always hiding. To be honest, I didn't really care. I didn't mind where I was. I didn't have anyone to hold me down anywhere. For the first time in a while, I thought about my old life. I had chosen to forget it, but you can never really forget something. Sometimes I wondered how they were doing. My mom, my old friends. I wondered if my mom actually cared, if she still thought about me. I wondered if Charlie still talked about me, or if I ever came up in conversations, and he thought about how it used to be. I wonder if people thought of me as "that crazy girl who ran away with Dean." I wouldn't even mind if they did.

"I have no idea where I'm driving." Ryder told me.

"Do we ever know where we're going?" I laughed.

"Guess not." Ryder chuckled, keeping his eyes on the road. I looked out the window as we made our way deeper into California, with no idea where we would end up.

-

"This place ok?" Ryder asked me, bringing me back to reality. I looked around and nodded. It was another small motel, like always. It looked empty, which was good.

"I don't think I can be picky right now." I joked. He laughed in agreement as he picked the lock on an empty room. We rushed in, making sure no one saw us. Again, I hid our things in the closet, and plopped down on the bed.

"So this is how it's always gonna be huh? this is our life?" I sighed.

Ryder laid down next to me and pushed my hair out of my face as we stared at the ceiling.

"Guess so. But I don't mind, as long as I'm with you."

I turned around and smiled at him. "You goofball."

He laughed and wrapped us up in the covers. He pulled me in closer, and I felt myself falling asleep. But yet I felt so guilty. I could never leave him. He had come all this way for me, and all I could do was throw him away like a wrapper. And I could never kill him. I hated myself for thinking that I could, for thinking that was even an option. But I just couldn't.

-
sorry for the filler chapter!
but how's the story so far?