Chapter 1

27 years later

"Get in line!" The bouncer of the club yelled out to the mess of people stammering against the entrance of the building. I adjusted my leather jacket trying to keep out the cold.

"You can't be that cold" Jasmin laughed as she looked at my black dress. I playfully smacked her arm as we walked towards the bouncers. With a flirtatious smile from Jasmin and I and the help of skimpy dresses, we were soon allowed access into the atmosphere of thumping music within seconds.

"It doesn't hurt to be hot" she said nudging me slightly before erupting into a pleasant laugh. I followed right behind her, already familiar with the colorful lights and vibrations of loud speakers that surrounded us. It didn't take long before we got into our routinely groove and felt our bodies melting into the music.

This was an every weekend thing. It was something I had used as an escape years ago and now seemed to have grown on me like many other things. The sensation of strangers hands on me was nothing
new and the feeling of being on the verge of passing out drunk was almost a Friday night tradition.

The floor was filled with people that probably had severe problems in life yet seemed to be completely different people when the lights of the club flashed onto their skin.

"This is new" Jasmin smiled as she swayed her hips to a song we didn't know the lyrics to. I laughed in agreement as my hair fell back onto my shoulders. I hadn't felt this great in years, something in the air felt different tonight. Especially after a couple drinks.

"Wow, how many issues do you carry?" Jasmin joked as she tried to catch up to my rhythm. It was an inside joke her and I had. The better someone partied, the bigger their problems were and tonight it seemed like I was that poor soul.

"Not any I can think of" I lied already buzzed out of my mind. I felt the familiar warm sensation in my body as the music seemed to feel like it was playing just for me. I was drunk.

"You know" Jasmin said stumbling a bit towards me before catching her balance onto my hands.

"Nachos sound good" she said completely drunk. Before I could respond, a random guy took her by the waist and deeper into the dance floor. I felt myself preparing to protest but Jasmin signaled me to quiet down as she giggled and followed right after the guys lead. I tried to follow after them but was soon swallowed into the sea of people.

A pair of hands suddenly gripped my waist and I had no time to process what was happening before I was met with kind brown eyes. The man was obviously handsome but all again a stranger. I politely smiled trying to get him to take his hands off of me but he didn't seem to catch my drift.

"Can I get you a drink?" He asked with a perfect smile. I looked back towards the direction Jasmin had gone and mentally gave up when I realized I wouldn't be finding her anytime soon. She did this often.

"Sure" I replied with a smile before allowing him to guide the way into the opposite direction.

"You're pretty drunk" he said as I felt myself laughing for no apparent reason. I had been sitting in his booth for what felt hours and the club was beginning to clear out. There was still no sign of Jasmin and worry began to boil in the depths of my intoxicated stomach and head.

"Can I take you home?" The man said who's name I had forgotten.

"The streets of New York can get.. pretty messy" he said as he looked towards the exit of the club. I had completely forgotten I wasn't in Derry for a second and in a completely strange city instead.

"No funny business" I said trying not to slur my words in order to not give him any more hints on how drunk and vulnerable I was. I fought to keep my balance as we made our way out of the sinning building.