Chapter 16

"Penny?" I called out into the empty darkness, or what I assumed was empty darkness. I didn't move a single inch, I didn't want to. I don't remember how long I waited in the cold and silent night air but I never did get a response. All I was given was the mere sounds of playful crickets that were venturing out into the chilly summer night.

I decided to close my window in order to stop myself from wanting to wander around in search of him. I didn't want to fall into it all over again. It just simply wasn't fair how weak my senses became when he was around, visible or not. Even the sound of his name or the simple scent of popcorn was enough to drive me crazy. Deep down I felt as if no matter how many times I pushed him away, he knew he'd always have a way back and my doors would always be open.

So then why did I felt like I had to physically push my back against the door to stop him from coming in? Why couldn't the doors just stay shut on their own? Why did I have to convince myself that I wanted them locked?

Did I even want to lock him out?

A sudden bang next door made me instinctively duck for cover. I was still struggling with the previous events at my old apartment complex. I could hear my shaky breath cut through the cold air in my room before convincing myself that it was nothing but old creaks and bumps of the night.

"You're afraid" I heard penny's voice break through the silence that held me comfortable minutes ago.

"God damn" I sighed out in relief

"If you pop up like that, of course I will be" I said holding my hand against my chest. His fire hair was an interesting contrast against the darkness of my room.

"There is no God" he said as lurked an inch closer to the side of the room I was in.

"What are you doing here?" I asked and for once feeling genuine curiosity about his actions.

"We have to go" he said inching just a bit closer.

"What are you talking about?" I responded confused and slightly harsh as I tried to avoid eye contact.

"It will not be safe here in a while" he said simply with no further explanation.

"Penny this isn't funny" I said as I slid into my bed and tried to make myself comfortable for the night. I peeked at him through the darkness. He stood there staring down at me, almost as if he was debating on what to do which was very off for him. He oozed confidence and that included the decisions he made in a millisecond as well.

"Penny you are freaking me out" I said as he continued to stare at me.

He suddenly jumped onto the bed, hovering over me in the process. It took me a few seconds to realize what was going on. His warm breath fanned my face as I laid silently waiting for his next move. I knew better than to try to argue with this man/child/creature.

"Don't make this hard for me lolaaa" he said sighing. He seemed to be growing more irritated by the second and I knew this must have been serious.

"Penny what is going on? What do you even want me to do about it?" I said as I rested on my forearms, allowing myself to get a proper view of him. He leaned back. Sitting at the edge of my bed as he kept his eyes fixated on me.

"I need you to come with me" he said slowly.

"Correction" I responded

"You want me to go with you" I said laying back down and closing my eyes preparing to rest. I was trying to force myself to sleep so he'd get the hint to leave but like always, things didn't always go my way.

"WHAT THE FU-"  I began to scream out before Penny completely covered my mouth. He had dragged me towards him, blanket and all, and wrapped me up into some fucked up human burrito before throwing me over his shoulder. I wanted to kick and thrash around but was constricted against my beige fleece blanket. So instead I decided to yell at him to make him put me down but that plan failed rather quickly when he decided to stuff his glove into my mouth. Now don't get me wrong, I loved having his glove in my mouth amongst other things, but not in this type of scenario.

I was at this point teary eyed as I fought back the need to gag from how deep he had shoved his glove into my mouth. The glove felt as if it was in my throat choking me to death. I could not see anything but I could feel a slight breeze blow against my loose and messy hair.

We were outside.
In the open.
Where any wandering souls could see us.
And yet he didn't care.
Almost as if he knew they wouldn't be alive to tell others what they saw.

"Why are you doing this?" I questioned him as worry began to grow in the lower part of my stomach.

"It's not safe here anymore" he said, as if this town was ever safe with him lurking underground waiting for his next prey. But something didn't feel right when those words left his red stained lips.

Something made me feel like he was telling the truth.

It wasn't safe here for me anymore.