Chapter 16

Alexander grabbed the ringing phone from the night stand. It was barely three in the morning, but he was wide awake, and sleep was useless. "Ivan?"

"No," Cenek said.

Alexander dropped his hand on his head as he tried to place the voice. "How did you get this number?"

"Well, it wasn't easy," Cenek replied. He swished the drink in his hand and took a swallow of the harsh liquid. "I finally found someone at Weston Prep who told me that you were Margaret's protector."

"Margaret?" Alexander was still confused by the conversation wondering if he was more tired than he first realized.

Cenek smiled. "You probably know her as Greta."

"Who is this," Alexander demanded more than asked. He swung his legs off the bed and was halfway to the door before he realized he had no idea where he was going. "Who are you?"

"Well, I'm not the one who kidnapped Margaret and the kids so you can cease worrying about that," Cenek said with a laugh that showed his carefree attitude.

"Who are you?"

"My name needs to remain a secret until I make sure that you and the kids' fathers aren't going to come storm my clan. Margaret would be very irritated with me if I, or anyone in my clan, hurt her students' fathers."

"Stop calling her Margaret," Alexander ordered.

Cenek raised an eyebrow at the order. "That is her name."

"Where are you?"

Cenek avoided the question. He wasn't going to hand out the information to Alexander just yet. He changed the subject. "The person I talked to at Weston Prep said that you were Marg...her protector," Cenek avoided using Greta's name to appease the angry man on the phone.

"I am her protector," Alexander clarified. "Now tell me where she is, and who you are."

"It's three in the morning," Cenek pointed out. "Margaret and the children are exhausted. Margaret only went to bed an hour ago. She can't be woken up to deal with two angry Lycan fathers or a pissed off protector."

"But that's exactly what I am," Alexander said angrily. "I am her protector. I am supposed to be with her. Tell me where you are and who you are right now."

"Cenek Kavarik," he dutifully said. "I will tell you where my property is, however, since I'm assuming you'll be coming over immediately, you will follow the rules on my property. You will not wake Margaret or the children. And I know your reputation, Alex. It's impressive, don't get me wrong, but you will not engage any of my men."

"I will abide by your rules," Alexander reluctantly agreed. "Now tell me where your property is."

Cenek hung up the phone after giving his address.

"Should we expect him tonight?" Jarek asked as Cenek finished the last of his drink.

Cenek let out a short laugh. "I say we should expect him within the hour."

"Alexander Waslow?" Jarek said in awe. "That man has a reputation that has extended across the ocean. There are rumors that his clan is the most ruthless. No one has ever dared cross him or anyone in his clan."

"Well, he happens to be Margaret's protector."

"Protector?" Jarek asked. "Even for Lycans isn't that a bit archaic? We haven't had a protector for a human in hundreds of years."

Cenek shrugged a shoulder. "I don't know what they are doing in America. I just know that Margaret isn't aware that she has a protector."

"How can you tell?"

"She came here," Cenek explained. "She came to me instead of going to him. And since I know Margaret, I know that she isn't going to follow the guidelines of a protector, and if Waslow is anything like his reputation, he isn't going to back down on his job as a protector. It's going to be World War 3 here."

"Who's going to win?" Jarek asked with a laugh.

Cenek poured himself another drink. "I really have no idea. Had it been any one else besides Waslow, I would have put my money on Margaret. Now," he took a swallow of the alcohol, "it's just going to be a great show."

"Do you want me to alert the other members?"

"Tell the others that Alexander will be allowed on the property. They will not confront him." Cenek downed his second drink. "Alexander is already going to be on edge since Margaret has sought help from another clan. I don't want him finding any other reason to attack someone in this clan."

"It will be taken care of," Jarek said. He headed for the front door, stopped, and turned back to Cenek. "We are going to have two very angry fathers here."

"Yeah, I know. Although, I'm thinking that the biggest problem is going to come from Alexander, not from the fathers."