Chapter 29

"Patrick and Isabella, put your backpacks into the trunk and then get into my car," Greta said.

"Do you want me to take your bag as well?" Patrick asked as he held out his hand for the heavy bag on Greta's shoulder.

Greta slid it off her shoulder and handed it to the teenager. She watched as the two students headed for her vehicle.

"Alex would rather have the children in a different vehicle."

"What Alex wants doesn't matter right now," Greta said. "And we can just keep this away from him, like he kept things away from me."

Timothy shared a look with Rook, another of the Lycans sent to keep Greta safe while at school. They had been with Greta at the school since she had become a leader and moved onto Alexander's property. Usually she had been pretty sweet unless she was dealing with Alexander. This was the first time she had outright refused to follow them. "Greta?"

"Timothy, don't test me right now, or you'll get all my anger instead of Alex, and I really want to get mad at Alex."

"What did Alex do?" Rook asked. He wasn't too worried about Alexander's ability to protect himself, especially from a female human, but Alexander was Rook's leader, and Rook would do what was necessary to keep his leader safe.

"Do?" she asked. "Oh, nothing. Alex didn't do anything."

"I feel like there really is something though," Timothy said.

Greta looked towards the car. "Patrick and Isabella slide into the back seat, shut the door, and don't listen in on my conversation."

Timothy and Rook waited for Patrick and Isabella to do as their leader had ordered. Once they were sure the children were out of earshot, they turned back to Greta. "What happened at school today?"

"School? Nothing. Why would anything had happened at school today?"

"Why are you mad at Alex?" Rook asked. "He's been at the clan all day. Is it because you think he is ignoring you? Do you wish he had come here instead of us to bring you home?"

"Interesting question," Greta said. "I have one of my own. How long have you known I was Alex's mate?"

Timothy choked a bit on his own tongue, while Rook cleared his throat. Rook was the one who answered first. "Alex has forbidden us from talking about it."

"You do realize that saying that just confirms what I ask."

"I'm not confirming it," Rook said. "I also not denying it. I'm just letting you know that Alex has forbidden the clan from talking about it. You can ask him about it."

"Ask? I'm not going to ask him about anything." She held out her hand.

For a moment Timothy and Rook looked at the outstretched hand in mass confusion. Because Greta was Alexander's mate, they would never hold her hand, and yet she seemed to be waiting for them. Timothy raised an eyebrow. "What are you looking for?"

"My keys."

"I'll drive you home," Rook said.

Greta shook her head. "I'll be driving. Give me my keys."

"Alex..."

"It doesn't matter what Alex wants," Greta interrupted. "I will take my keys and drive my car."

Since Alexander hadn't given them any real rules about Greta, except to keep her safe at all times, Rook slipped his hand into his pocket and pulled out the keys. He placed them in Greta's outstretched hand. "You may drive."