Chapter 38

Alexander rolled over in bed. He was wide awake and couldn't fall asleep for anything. And for the first time, it wasn't the woman in bed keeping him awake. He turned on his side and gently ran his fingertips along Greta's arm. She stirred slightly in her sleep but didn't wake up. He smiled at the way her body reacted to him, but he didn't wake her.

There was something else keeping him awake.

Karolynn.

He had to do something about her. He couldn't let her stay out in the world with the danger she posed to other Lycans and humans. If she was willing to kidnap, hold for ransom, and attempt to kill his mate, Alexander could only assume what she would do to others when she ran out of his money.

Alexander threw his hand across his face and tried to think of where Karolynn could have hidden herself. She wouldn't have dared to live out in the open after what she did. He wasn't the only Lycan after her, but he wanted to be the one to catch her.

With a sigh, Alexander moved his hand, rolled over in the bed, and kissed Greta softly on her forehead. He slipped from his bed and just as quietly left the room.

Although it was still in the wee hours of the morning, Alexander wasn't surprised when he ran into Ivan. Alexander smiled at the irritation that covered Ivan's face. "Cecilia?"

"Your blasted sister still hasn't asked for my name," Ivan said, running an agitated hand through his hair. "I just don't think it's fair that you found your mate after I did, but you got to bind with her before I did. And she wasn't even aware of the Lycan world."

"Is she currently the reason that you're still awake?"

Ivan sighed heavily. "No. She's sound asleep. I've already checked up on her. It's just the look on your face lets me know you have what I don't." He looked up at Alexander. "Speaking about having what I don't, why aren't you in bed with your mate?"

"I want Karolynn."

Ivan wasn't surprised by the growl that followed Karolynn's name. Alexander hadn't, and wouldn't, forgive Karolynn for attempting to kill his mate. In fact, no one in the Lycan world would forgive her. "Well, it's funny that you say that. I was just coming to find you to give you the latest bit of information that has filtered through the grapevine."

"You found her?"

"It hasn't been confirmed, but..." Ivan held out the folded piece of paper towards Alexander.

While Alexander read the information on the paper, the two men walked towards the office. Ivan waited for Alexander to slip the paper into his back pocket before speaking again. "I figured you would want to go after her immediately, so I have already called our pilot. The helicopter is ready to take you to the private jet. The flight plan is already set, so once you get to the airport, you'll be ready to go."

"You'll take care of Greta until I get back?"

"She'll be safe and secure here."

With a nod of his head, Alexander headed out of the house. He knew Ivan would keep Greta safe and secure as long as she stayed on the property. Now it was up to him to make the rest of the world safe and secure.

Ivan stood in the office and waited. He knew enough about the mate bond to know Greta was going to know that Alexander was gone sooner rather than later.

"Ivan?"

Apparently it was going to be much sooner.

Ivan spun around. "Good morning, Greta. It's much too early for you to be up yet. Why don't you go back to sleep until it's time to get Patrick and Isabella up?"