Chapter 42

Greta had every intention of staying awake until Alexander came to get her, but her body had different plans. As soon as Dustin and Geoff were taken to a room for their medical needs, Greta found that she wasn't needed anymore and suddenly, as quick as it came, the adrenalin left her body. In its place came sleepiness. She had almost fallen flat on her face, and probably would have, if Achilles hadn't taken hold of her arm and gently led her to a different wing of the house and a room for her to sleep in.

She had, just barely, managed to take a shower to wash off the blood, the smoke smell, and the entire night before falling into bed and immediately going to sleep. She slept like the dead, unaware that time was passing at the manor or at the place where Alexander was. She was unaware that while she slept members from Alexander's clan in America were busy taking over William's clan in America, killing those that were still on William's side, and accepting others that pledged their loyalty to Alexander. And closer to her, both Alexander clan members and Achilles's clan members were making quick work of William and the army he had brought with him to seek his revenge he wanted.

Greta didn't even move while she slept. Even the dreams left her alone.

Until the bed on her left sank down lightly as a heavier body than hers sat down on the mattress. "So my little warrior sleeps, uh?"

She woke up with a smile on her face. "You're here."

"Of course I am," Alexander said with small chuckle. "You're here. Where else would I be?"

"Are you a dream?" Greta asked, unsure if she could believe her eyes. She would have been horribly disappointed to wake up only to find that Alexander wasn't there.

"No, darling, this isn't a dream."

"Are you a ghost?" she asked next, poking her finger into Alexander's hard chest as if to find out the answer on her own.

"No, darling, I'm not a ghost." He leaned down so he was leaning over her. "After all, a ghost wouldn't be able to do this." He closed the little distance he had left between them and kissed Greta solidly on the lips. He waited for her to recognize him, or to fully wake up, but he didn't have to wait long. She opened up to him nearly immediately, deepening the kiss.

"Hey, Alex, I told you to take a shower first," Achilles said, entering the room and breaking up the kiss without seeming at all embarrassed to have caught the two.

Alexander slowly finished the kiss before pushing himself up to a sitting position and turning towards the door. "She's my mate, Achilles. I don't have to wait."

"You're also covered in blood. Yours and others. I don't care much for that all over my bedding, and I bet Greta would appreciate it much more if you were clean."

Greta sat up on the bed, knocking the blankets off her. "Why do you have your blood on you? What happened? Were you hurt?"

Alexander shot a glare over at Achilles. "Thanks for saying that. Now you have Greta all worried." He turned back to Greta. "You don't have to worry about anything. I am perfectly fine. Especially now that I'm with you."

Greta didn't look convinced. She turned to Achilles. "Is he a ghost?"

"Alex?" Achilles asked with humor lining his word. "No, ma'am, he isn't a ghost. And if he had been, I highly doubt he would have let me see him. You, yes, but I think he would rather stay invisible to me because I like to throw a wrench into his plans, like this one. He would rather stay with you, and I'm making him clean himself up first." He turned back to Alexander. "You'll thank me later, as will Greta. Go shower and change. While you do that, I'll take Greta to the dining room to eat, and you can meet us there."