Chapter 39

Sorry for the long oasis from writing! I'll try to keep them coming faster! I really hope you enjoy this chapter.

Greta stood next to her car as she dug in her purse for her keys. "I have to clean this out," she thought out loud while she blindly felt around for the cold metal to hit her fingertips. "Aha," she said again to herself as she felt the tips of her fingers close over the required items.

"Miss Klassen."

Not expecting anyone to be around her, Greta wasn't prepared for another voice, and as it startled her, she dropped the keys, losing it once more in the vastness of her purse.

She spun around as she started digging again for her keys. "Patrick, school has been cancelled for the rest of the month," she said, surprised to see him there. She had figured that although some students, including Patrick, may have been worried about her being trapped by Karolyn, she figured most would be quite happy that school had been cancelled until the board could let the wind die down around the fact that the head of their school had been a deranged Lycan.

"I know, Miss Klassen," Patrick said. He shifted from one foot to another.

Greta stopped looking for her keys as she saw the familiar movement. Patrick was behaving the way he had in Prague just before he spilt the beans on Lycans. "What is it, Patrick?"

"Mr. Waslow is in trouble."

Greta smiled at the young man's worry. "You don't need to worry, Patrick. Alexander is just fine. He is a rather capable Lycan."

"Normally I would agree. I've heard the rumors that surround Mr. Waslow, and since I've lived with him, I've come to know that those rumors are completely true, if not understated. But I know he's in trouble. He's facing something that he isn't expecting."

Greta sighed lightly. "Patrick, you need to skip to the end of what you're trying to tell me."

"Once I tell you what I know, I'm not going to be able to go back to my clan."

"Remember Prague," Greta told him. "I took care of everything then, and I'll take care of it now. But just like in Prague, if you don't tell me something, I can't help you out. And, if what you say is true about not being able to go back to your clan, I'll take care of that. Now what is it that you have to tell me about Alexander?"

Patrick shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "My dad was helping Karolynn."

"What?"

"Well, after Prague. He wasn't part of our kidnappings, but he joined Karolynn to ruin Alexander and you. And now he and dozens of Lycans from our clan are setting a trap for Mr. Waslow. And the bait is Karolynn." Patrick was on a roll, and he couldn't stop. "I'm pretty sure the trap is working because Dad left last night with about fifty Lycans. They're going after Alexander. You need to warn him..."

"Patrick, she's not your leader anymore," Ivan said, walking into the conversation and interrupting it without knowing the subject. He was pretty sure the boy wouldn't harm Greta, but he still didn't take kindly that a male from a different clan was near his leader's mate.

Patrick immediately took three steps back. He turned to Ivan. "I'm not going to harm Miss Klassen. I just came to warn her about Mr. Waslow."

"First, off, young Lycan, her name is now Mrs. Waslow, and secondly, if you want to talk to her you can come to her clan."

"I didn't think you or Mr. Waslow's other clan members would take too kindly with me coming onto the property with the information I have."

"Information?"