Chapter 28

Two years ago,

Newlington suburban town near the highway, New Jersey.

Dawn, in a small wood.

In the pouring rain, the pitch black night almost swallowed the dark blue car under a big tree. There were no lights in the surroundings, only the ceaseless sound of rain and wind coming from all directions.

Gradually, from deep inside the woods, beams from each flashlight flickered, slowly gathering around the deep blue car like fireflies.

Sounds of doors being closed and messily locked. Violently following each other, a group of young high school students in raincoats chaotically got inside the car.

Sitting in the driver’s seat, a male juvenile in a red raincoat impatiently threw away his raincoat and aggressively hit the steering wheel. He was a redhead, with raindrops dripping down his hair.

“What’s so great about the senator’s daughter! My dad is the Minister of Finance! Where the heck did she get that stinking temper from?  Ran away at her own will in this drenching rain, and we’ve been looking for her for the whole day but still can’t find her. Tell her to rot in the woods already!”, he said mockingly.

“What did you just say?” Another young boy in a green raincoat sitting in the middle of the back seat got angry. He jumped out of his seat trying to pick a fight with the other one, but was stopped by the ones sitting next to him. Green raincoat was a white boy with eyes as green as a lake, blonde hair, beautiful, like a fairy tale prince.

“Kelly, you shut up” a female student with a pony tail scolded the red headed boy.

“Me shut up?” Kelly started the engine, the car slightly shook up then stopped. He hissed, viciously: “Who was the one that made Lola mad that she ran away? I believe that was you, Daisy.”

“Stop fighting! We have to be on the same side. What are you making a fuss for?” The juvenile named Tony, sitting in the passenger’s seat, seemed to be the oldest of the bunch; black eyed, black haired, looked like his words matter the most. The moment he shouted, the inside of the vehicle became quiet instantly. Tony said right after: “What should we do now? Keep looking for her or get out of this goddamn place?”

“Must find Lola first.” The green eyed, blonde haired boy said firmly.

Kelly didn’t object that, but he smiled, almost like a smirk: “I don’t care, can’t go even if I wanted to.”

“What does that supposed to mean?” everyone freaked out.

Kelly took out a cigarette, struggling to light it up then depressingly throw the lighter away. He said, pointing at the fuel gauge: “When that crazy chick Lola stole the steering wheel, the car skidded off the road, hit the tank, and spilt the oil.”

“That’s not normal!”  Said another young skinny boy sitting in the back seat, he was the tiniest in the bunch, the black frame making his face look even paler. “Was it that person’s revenge? We should get out of here right now, what if that person chases after us to kill us all?”, he faltered.