12 House Arrest

Chapter 12

“Hey, what took you so long?” Will asks as we slip into the seat.

Someone decided to take an extra long shower this morning.” I answer. I could almost feel Ally roll her eyes at me.

“Don’t you have like a dozen bathrooms at your place?”

“Thankfully.”

Anyways, sorry we couldn’t make it yesterday.” She interrupts.

“Yeah, I was going to ask about that. Where were you?” he asks,

“We had some stuff to deal with but no worries it’s all cleared up now.” She catches my eyes. A strange moment of silence passes between us.

“Hey… I heard about Janet. Sorry about that.” Right I forgot that everyone knew now.

“It’s fine.” I answer.

“When are you guys having the funeral?”

“Soon, my dad still is deciding on the date.” I’m sure that Ally picked up on that white lie.

“Right, you know, for a guy who’s just lost his mum, you don’t seem as beat up about it as I thought you’d be.”

“Well, I found out straight after the accident and I’ve dealt with it... in my own way.” I explain. “But it doesn’t mean I’m completely over it.”

“Right, of course.” He plays with the glass bottle of coke, tracing his finger over the rim.

“Hey guys,” Mel comes over, “Trent, what happened to you yesterday? You just disappeared.”

“Yeah… I was sort of…” I hesitate, what am I meant to say, drinking? “I needed some space, to think. I found out about my mother.”

“Yeah... sorry about that.” She chews on the inside of her cheek, an old habit of hers. “Anyways,” She quickly changes topic, “I heard that Richie found you.”

“Yeah. He had to practically drag me home in Ally’s car.”

“Ally? She was there?” I nod. “Lucky for that then.” I smile. “Ally, speaking of you, the ball is this Saturday and we have a lot of work to do. Mrs. Montgomery thinks we should start tomorrow. The advertising’s done. All we have to do is decorate… this year’s theme is ‘Midnight Getaway’,” she hands her a flyer. Ally couldn’t look more lost. “Meet me at lunch tomorrow. I’m going to Tracey’s today,” She turns to me, “Want to come?”

“Nah, I think I’ll stay here.”

“Just me then, see you guys later.” I smile as she leaves the café.