11 Money is the Root of all Evil

Chapter 11

“There you go big guy.” Richie settles Trent down onto his bed. It’s almost midnight. It had taken him almost half an hour to wake Trent up and drag him out of the car and into his room. The sweat is practically dripping down the sides of his forehead. “You okay?” I ask as he takes off Trent’s shoes,

“Yeah, he’ll be fine.” He answers,

“No,” I smile, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” He looks to me with a grin, “I’m fine too. Thanks for the help, today.”

“Thanks for bringing him back.”

“And finding him… and driving you… and dragging him up here.”

“Whatever.” I laugh. A few seconds pass by before he sighs and says, “I should probably tell the others he’s okay.”

“Yeah, sure.” I nod as he leaves the room.

I look back to Trent, his drained body resting on he king sized bed. “You are such an idiot.” I whisper as I take a seat next to him.

“You do know that I’m not asleep yet right?” I smile to his voice. He turns to face me, his eyelids managing to open slightly.

“I’m sorry…” The words come out before I could stop them.

He scoffs, “You know.” I search my brain for an excuse.

“I overheard…” Not a complete lie. “She was a good person, you know?” He almost laughs,

“And how would you know? You only knew her for about a week.”

“It was longer than that.” I smile.

“Yeah, well…” he turns away. Just as he does, Rich re-enters the room.

“Hey, umm…” He pauses, “You’re awake.” Trent looks over to his friend.

“Thanks for the rescue mate.” He smiles weakly. Rich grins back.

“We should probably let him rest…” He sighs, “Besides, I should be going. I’ll lead myself out.” He says before leaving with a phone in his hand.

“Yeah… we should probably leave you.” I rise,

“Wait.” Something grabs me, I turn back to see a hand on my wrist. “Could you stay?” He asks, “Please.” I sigh and take my seat once more. “So if you know that my mum’s passed,” He cringes at the last word, like it tasted foul in his mouth, “You probably also know that my dad wants to keep it a secret… for a while, or so he says.”