20 Liar, Liar

Chapter 20

Alyssa Petrelli

I step out of the limousine. This is actually the very first time I’ve done this on my own. It is daunting yet slightly exhilarating at the same time. All the attention is on me. I walk towards the gate, turning heads on the way. I feel as if I’m doing something absolutely embarrassing on my walk but that’s not the case at all. People are just naturally attracted to the rich and famous. To be honest, I don’t see why they consider me being ‘famous’, once this whole thing is done and dusted, Alyssa Millers will disappear off the face of the earth forever.

“Hey. Where’s your boyfriend?” Iris comes into step with me.

“He’s meeting up with his uncle. I thought he would’ve been here by now.” My eyes wonder from face to face. Some were staring, others sneaking glances.

“Nice purse.” She takes hold of Tracey’s Gucci. “Love the colour. Teal. Suits you.”

“Since when were you interested in purses? Let alone anything I wear?”

“Since I’ve decided to spend some money.” I turn to her. “I’ve always been a saver. I have friggin five thousand dollars from Raven’s alone. I need something to strive for.”

“Good for you.” I smile. “What exactly are you striving for?”

“I was thinking a holiday, maybe.” She nods, “I can’t even remember the last time I was overseas. My aunt is living in Beverly Hills. I haven’t seen her since I was like six so…”

“Great. Going with anyone?” I ask.

“Nah. My parents think it’ll be good for me to do this on my own.” She nods.

“When are you thinking about going?”

“I’m hoping to after the semester. Depends on when I can afford it.”

“Hey,” I change topic. “Are you going to the Annabelle Masquerade this Saturday?”

“Yeah, I think so. Sawyer’s bringing me as a plus one. I wouldn’t have ever gotten in otherwise.”

“You wanted to go?” I ask, surprised.

“There will be high-class people attending, which means that I can get hold of some great job opportunities. You think I really want to work at a bar?” She rolls her eyes. “Who knows? Maybe I might even get an internship at Cherri or something.” Cherri magazine is one of the country’s finest and they have moved their HQ from Sydney to CG. I guess the rich and famous attracted them… like the many others. It’s basically the Vogue of Australia.