14 Beggars Can't Be Choosers

Chapter 14

It’s Friday and I feel as if Ally is never going to say yes to me. And I’m the one paying her, who does she think she is? You know, if it comes down to it, I’ll seriously drag her there with me.

We are all in the gym, adding the final touches to the decorations. I’m helping Will put some steamers up. I climb the ladder and hold the end of the streamer against the wall. “Here?” I raise my voice. He holds his thumb up giving me the signal to tape it down. Speaking of Will, he had been spending a lot of time with ally lately, I’m not worried of course, I have no reason to be, but nevertheless it’s definitely more than they should. I’m starting to suspect something but it’s probably too early to tell. Besides, Will is a good friend, there’s no way he’d try anything on her. He thinks we’re dating, just as he’s meant to.

I hear my name mentioned behind me and decide to listen in.

“It’s not that I don’t want to go with him, I just want him to ask me properly.”

“What do you mean properly?” I hear Mel’s voice.

“He’s always asking in front of people, it’s like he’s trying to show-off, you know? I hate people like that.” Ally explains. You could’ve told me that, before.

“Are you sure it’s not because you want to string him along?”

“Why, do you want to date him?” I hear Mel laugh. “Oh come on, it’s obvious you like him.” Is she still going on with this?

“I don’t like him. He’s just a friend.” She sighs, “And besides, he was there for me when my parents got a divorce last year.” Crap, that’s a dangerous topic Melissa.

“Yeah?” Ally asks. Mel changes topics after that. Thank goodness. I thought for a second that she’d spill the beans.

I catch up with Ally after the bell rings for third period. “Hey?” She smiles crookedly.

“Hey, can I talk to you for a second?”

She bites the inside of her lip, “For a second.” She says firmly. People were leaving the gym wildly. Within seconds it’s just the two of us. Perfect. “So I was wondering…”

“Oh no.” She smiles,

“I haven’t even started yet.” I grin.

“Fine,” She smiles. “Keep going.”

“I was wondering if you’d be free this Saturday night?”

“…I think I might be available,” She shrugs.