9 Timing Is Everything

Chapter 9

We finally reach Fifth Avenue (which is where Tracey likes to do her shopping,) we immediately get started with Melissa practically dragging me out of the limo. To be honest, I hate shopping, when I was young, my mother always did the shopping for me but now, Tracey usually buys all I need and all I have to do is give her the cash. Why do I hate it? Because it’s so fucking boring. All you ever do is walk from store to store, picking out clothes. Not my thing. And the only reason girls like to shop with guys is so they can make them sit outside the change room and compliment them when they come out. It’s pathetic.

“Why so down?” Melissa looks to me, with her usual genuine smile.

“No reason. I’m fine.” She scoffs. “What?” I ask.

“I can tell when you’re lying, you know?”

“But I am fine, I’m just not a fan of shopping.”

 “Really?” She raises her eyebrows and looks to the sky for a moment. “Well then… I guess we’ll see about that after I’m done with you for the day.” She grins.

Finally.

It seems as thought, after dragging me through an endless number of stores, she has given up. “Fine. You win. You can go home if you want to, or you can help me pick out a dress.”

“Hmm.” I ponder. “You promise not to make me try on anything?”

“I’m not making you do anything. Just tell me if you like one of these.” She gestures to the poor shop assistant who’s knees are almost buckling, holding onto the enormous pile of dresses hoarded in his arms.

I roll my eyes and nod. Phase two of shopping:  Fish for compliments.

I take my seat before the change room. This would at least be bearable if I had my IPod with me, and maybe a can of Redbull.

Dammit, I knew I should’ve bought something when we passed Nando’s. Maybe I still can.  I quickly rush to the door. It’s only two minutes away, and by the looks of things it’ll take Mel a while to get ready. I stride out into the fresh air and wind my way past the pedestrians as I make my way to the restaurant.

I walk to the counter and place my order. Within a blink of an eye, the man returns with my drink. I’m so thirsty I could literally soak myself in it right now. I quickly pay, grab the bottle and choke it down whilst getting on my way back.

As soon as I open the door the drink gushes all over me. “Shit.” I curse. When I said ‘soak’ I didn’t actually mean it. My shirt is drenched.