The Maze CH 57

James POV

It had been a couple more weeks into the term, and the maze was finally here. Tomorrow would be the last task of the Triwizard Tournament, and I was slowly getting more and more nervous about it. Lyra was even worse than I was, and I couldn't hold her hand in the last couple of days because our emotions together were causing trouble. In the hallway two days ago, we were both so nervous, plus Lyra was angry and scared that we exploded a bench that we were sitting on. McGonagall instructed us that we should remain apart until after the task is finished. 

"I cannot take it anymore!" Lyra came storming into the common room.

"What?" I asked her, reaching for her hand. I only stopped myself right before I grabbed it. 

"Being apart is only making things worse. I blew up another one on my own this time. I need to be by you." She started to cry, and I couldn't take that. I didn't care what happened.

I grabbed a blanket from the chair nearest me and wrapped it around her. I was careful that none of our skin touched, and I pulled her in for a hug. I rocked her back and forth until I could tell that she was no longer crying.

"I promise nothing is going to happen to me," I whispered in her ear.

"James promise me that if you think something terrible is going to happen to you that you will surrender. I don't want to lose you over a dumb tournament." She was crying again. 

"I promise Lyra. You are not going to lose me." I smiled at her and wiped her tears. Her sadness rushed into me, and I left my hand there for several moments so that she would be without pain at least for a few minutes. 

"Thank you, James." she put her head back onto my chest, and I pulled her close again. 

I walked her over to the couch, and we both sat down. It was after dinner already, and I wanted to get to bed soon so that I wouldn't be as tired for tomorrow. I knew that I should be going to bed soon, but I didn't want to leave her. I never wanted to leave her, actually. I would keep my promise tomorrow even if it meant that I would lose the tournament. 

After a while, she fell asleep, and I waited for Lily to come in. I would need her to help me get her into bed. About an hour later, Lily walked into the dorm with tears on her face. I instantly felt like I was going to have to hurt someone. Who made my baby sister cry.

"Lily." I grabbed her hand and pulled her over to the couch. I still couldn't get up because Lyra was on my lap. "What is wrong?"

"What if something happens to you tomorrow?" She let out a sob.

"Nothing has happened to me so far, and I am not going to let anything happened to me tomorrow. I promise you." 

"How can you make that promise. Dad almost died." She let out a large sob.

"Last time, evil people were working here. Voldemort was running everything. That isn't true anymore, Lily. Hermione and father run things now, and everything is going to be safe. Do you really think Hermione is going to let anything happen to us?" 

"No."

"Exactly, plus, you know who is going to protect me tomorrow?" 

"Who?" She looked up at me, and I pulled her into a hug. 

"Lyra, and Albus and you. Mother and Father. Scorpius, Molly, Isabella, and Cassi, and Orion. Marcus. Every one of you loves me, and I love all of you back. That love is going to protect me." I smiled at her and kissed the top of her head.

"Alright, James. I think I am going to go to bed now."

"That is a good idea, but only if you help me get Lyra to bed as well?" I smiled at her, and she cracked a small smile.