10: Smooth Lying

"Hey Baek," I hear Kai's deep voice greet his friend.

"Hi!" Baek's voice is so loud I can hear him clearly, even through the door.

I hear a sound that mimics a body jumping on the bed, and I assume that Baekhyun has jumped onto Kai's mattress.

"So," I hear Baek ask expectantly.

"So?" Kai questions.

"Well, what was it like, dude?" Baek's voice gets higher and I can hear him sit up on the bed. "You stayed in her house for a long time. Did anything happen between you two?"

There's a long pause, and I hold my breath. I feel my heartbeat pick up, for fear that Kai is going to tell him everything.

"Nah, man," I hear him answer and I release a breath I was holding. "Are you joking? She hates me."

I hear Baekhyun huff, and I can picture him crossing his arms. "Darn. All of us thought that you guys would make a good couple. Especially after how much you talked about her."

I press my ear closer against the door. He talked about me?

"Oh shut up," I hear Kai's voice followed by a sound resembling him sitting down in his desk chair.

"Its true dude!" Baek's voice picks up again. "All you could talk about was how cute she was."

I feel my face heat up and I smile. He thought I was cute this whole time!

I bust out a mini-dance inside the small closet. I spin around and shake my hands, remembering to keep quiet.

After I'm done, I turn around and begin looking at my surroundings. Clothes hang up behind me, and shoes inside boxes are placed on the ground.

I must turn a little bit too far, because a shirt hanger runs into my eye.

"Ouch!" I yelp, my hands immediately covering my mouth.

"Huh? What was that?" Baek's voice questions and I wish I could disappear into a black hole right there on the spot.

I can hear footsteps start towards where I'm hiding, and I try desperately to scurry behind some shirts and jackets.

I can see the door handle shake. This is the end of me

"Hey Baek, catch!" Kai's voice is sharp, and as soon as he says it, Baekhyun's whining voice fills the room.

"Oww! Kai! Why did you throw a basketball at me?!" I can hear the footsteps back away from the door, and I release a exasperated sigh.

"Sorry," I can picture Kai rubbing the back of his neck shyly. "I just don't think that I'm feeling too well. Do you think you could come back another time?"

"Well, jeeze, you could have just said that and not thrown a ball at my head!"

I hold my nose and my mouth, trying my hardest not to snicker.

"Okay, I'll go. Make sure to text me, okay?" I hear his voice as he exits the room.

There's a long pause of silence that follows, and I try to listen for any noise.

Suddenly, the door of the closet is pulled open, and Kai smiles down at me. "That was a close one, wasn't it?"

"No kidding," I say, stepping back into the open, catching my breath.

Kai closes the closet door, and we both smile at each other.

"Hey, Kai," Baekhyun walks back into the door of the room, looking inside his hoodie pocket.