8

Miley's POV

Being in a relationship with the father of thesaurus had me adopting some useful vocabularies, and I can say with great responsibility to what the word means...this party is chaotic.

For the most part, it's cute and fun. Our families are here and it feels so good to see them enjoying theirselves, but in each glance i see a camera lurking...waiting to capture the moment something slightly falls apart, and then there's Nick being obnoxiously anxious, pacing, whispering, watching everything with a keen eye. It was exhausting to look at him. He was more intent than the cameramen.

He was trying to make sure no one would cause a scene...but he's the one causing it! "What's wrong with that boy?" A familiar gruff said behind me, making me turn. Dad had traded his black sunglasses for a smoky mist around his eyes from the barbecue, gesturing towards my man.

"He's an idealist. Everything has to be perfect." I filled him in.

"I understand why he chose you then."

This time I turned to dad. "Are you just saying that because you have a microphone taped to your chest?"

He chuckled "I mean it. You're a great person, hon. Also...this show could use some of my old man wisdom. That's why he's following me, right?" This time dad gestured to a cameraman behind him.

I only smirked and shook my head "Just be careful what you say around them."

"Miles, I know my way around medias. That boy clearly don't."

I looked to where Nick was standing; turning his head 30 degrees every two seconds while he watches the party like a chaperone. I sighed.

"That boy needs to relax." Dad said, sipping a cold beer.

"Try telling that to someone who's not engaged to me and having their life recorded for a reality show."

"Someone's gotta ease his mind," He continued, ignoring me "What's he so scared of anyway? We wont trash his place if that's what he's worried about."

"It's his parents." I told him truthfully.

"They tough?"

"They're savage." I corrected.

"Nothing like a little Billy Ray can't fix. I'll have a chat with them. Keep them company...and civilized. Give that boy some time to blink. He watches like a hawk on Redbull." Dad said, then he chugged his beer and wiped his lips before walking away.

At the same time I went over to Nick who was startled when I touched him, like he thought no one noticed him existing there and looking at every person suspiciously.

"Babe, chill...my dad is with your folks. They won't do anything slightly damaging."

"Your...y-your Dad?!" He echoed in disbelief "That's horrible! They will...shit, they'd trash talk about me!"

"Nick! Snap out of it!" I said sternly "Give them a chance...it's not like they'll drag you on television."

"They did everything in their power to convince you I was a failure, what makes you think they'll blow the chance to tell the whole world?!" He hissed, I widened my eyes at him "That's not gonna happen! Listen, my dad will distract them away from that topic."

He sighed and nodded "I hope he's good."

"He is. Calm down. The only time you even have to slightly worry is if we're all together on the table, sitting down."

"Okay everyone let's all get together on the table and sit down!" A crew called out of nowhere making Nick and I freeze in place.

"Oh, shit." I muttered, looking over at Nick who was pale as a ghost. Everyone was crowding the wooden table with their plates and drinks and gestured for us to join. I willingly led Nick towards the table. He feels as heavy and stiff as a rock. I understand where this was coming from, after all I was there in his family's dining room the day they called him a failure in life. I just had a war flashback.