Ch. 10 - Darkness

Authors note : My work has been plagiarized recently. The problem seems to be solved. Thank you all for your support. Remember that I am doing this for free and it takes time to write a book.

-

No, she tried to convince herself, it could be his mother or a relative.

Loki never mentioned any... wife.

Heart hammering in her chest, fists clenched, Alice's body was entirely shaking. The whole world seemed to shatter under her feet.

Suddenly certain that someone was watching her, she looked up.

Loki's eyes were scanning her expression, aware that something was wrong. Even when she was mad at him, the young girl couldn't help but admire his pale skin contrasting strikingly with his dark hair. In the end, he remained so mysterious, so secretive. How could she even hope being a part of his world ?

''What's the matter ?'' he asked, coming closer as she put great efforts into pushing away the odd discovery.

Doing her best to hide her fears from him, Alice rushed into Loki's arms and gripped his shoulders in an unusual way,

''I'm perfectly fine.''

Their gazes locked and he knew for sure she was lying. Loki's eyebrows shot up,

''Well, you seem lost.''

A forceful smile on her lips, Alice hung upon his neck and kept staring at him,

''It's nothing. I'm just tired.'' she quickly replied.

With that, she wrapped herself into a towel and lazily dragged her feet to Loki's bedroom. There, Alice swept the place with her eyes for a sign of her. The mysterious Emily.

But there was none. Not a picture, not a trace.

Alice felt that feeling again, only much more strongly. The anxiety, burning her stomach and twisting her guts.

She looked around, breathing heavily. After a moment, her eyes laid on Loki. Leaning against the wall, he had his green emeralds fixed on her. As if he could read her thoughts, his gaze darkened and she saw clear pain in it,

''What is it ?'' he asked, keeping the tone of his voice as calm as possible.

Alice apprehensively shrugged, grabbing a small, round object on his desk,

''Nothing.'' she gulped and waited a few seconds before adding, ''I was wondering if you had... family.''

Loki froze, glaring at her as she pretended to focus on the accessory she was holding in her hands.

''I don't have any family.'' he coldly answered.

Alice's fingers clenched around the object,

''I mean a mother, a sister maybe...''

With each passing moment, the tension between them became more intense. Rolling his eyes, Loki let out a deep sigh in exasperation and kept himself busy,

''I told you I don't have any sister. My mother died a long time ago,'' he sounded angry now, ''if there's something you need to ask me I suggest you do it right now.''

Alice remained silent as he shuffled around, avoiding her gaze. She'd put the artefact back on the desk, her throat feeling tighter.

''I thought it was finally going to be alright, between us.'' Loki's voice suddenly echoed in the room, wounded and loud.