03

Recording did not go smoothly. Or at least for Jennie it didn't. Rosé and Jisoo finished really fast today, but they also weren't recording much. This morning they wanted to focus on their rap parts. It was a first time for every one in here: Jisoo had helped with the arrangements of the song, making it more special for them, more like their own. Unlike her meaningless and kind of childish songs she did all the time, this one had a more mature undertone and depended heavily on the smooth rap parts and the lyrics that Jennie and Lisa had written.

Since she had written her own part she had thought that she'd be able to do it exactly as she wanted to. When she practiced, it always sounded good in her ears. But something about the recording always seemed off. She rapped her part like always, put in all of her effort and thought: that was good. But through the window she saw Jisoo's face and the the ones of the other producers and knew that it didn't work.

"We'll play it for you how it is now", Jisoo said through the intercom and let her finger hover over the buttom. "It's somehow weird. And we all know you can do better than this."

Jennie listened carefully to her recorded voice, tried to understand what exactly went wrong. "It's the rhythm, right?", she asked the others and bit her lip. She never really had problems with that, but somehow the beat didn't match.

Teddy nodded. "Try it again and start a little bit faster. But don't rush."

That was how it had all started. Jennie had been the last to record and the one who needed the most time. Through the glass she saw Rosé and Lisa getting a bit restless. The two of them needed more food and they hadn't eaten since they left the dorm. Jennie sighed and looked at the watch. She couldn't believe the time. They had been in here for that long?

She pressed the button that allowed her to speak to the people on the other side of the glass wall. "Hey girls, get something to eat. You don't have to sit here and wait, I don't even know when I'll be finished here."

"Lisa, Chae, go and eat something. And order something for Jennie and me, we'll come to the dance studio later", Jisoo said, shooting an assuring smile in her direction.

Chaeyoung stood up, a bit unsure, but clearly excited at the thought of food and Jennie watched with a grin on her face as Jisoo pushed them both out of the studio.

"They would have never left voluntarily", she said and sighed. "Okay, Jennie, how about we change your lyrics slightly? I've thought about it and I think thats the reason why it doesn't work."

Jennie was a bit startled, then looked at her lyric sheet. She had memorized it completely, but for recording she always liked to keep the sheet. Just in case. "What do you mean?", she asked carefully. On the one hand she was happy someone had at least an idea of a solution, on the other hand she was a bit disappointed. She had worked hard on her lyrics and didn't want to change anything at all. It fit so perfectly to the concept of the song and to herself.

Jisoo laughed, obviously reading her mind. "Don't worry, it's not too much. Just ... the part of 'I sit on top', right?"

She nodded. It was the part that was the most difficult, the least matching with the beat.

"Change it to 'sitting on top', I think that will go better", Teddy said, obviously agreeing with Jisoo. "She had noticed it the first time already, but we wanted to try first without changing your lyrics."

Jennie nodded and correced the words on her sheet. They were right, it was way better this way. Turning away from the mic she practiced the new rap a bit. When she felt confident she turned back and smiled at Jisoo. "Let's get this", she said.