•CHAPTER 2•

The cheering made me jump out of my skin. I turned around in the bar stool only to find some people cheering about a football game on one of the old television sets.

"Kyle, you just broke someone's leg a few hours ago and didn't even flinch. Why so jumpy?" Ricky asked.

"I don't know." I sighed and stared down at my beer. "I just want to do something with my life."

"Card reading is a lot harder than it looks. Only a few people can do it, and those who do are masterminds. You can do anything."

"Ricky, my truck broke down again." I changed the subject and he punched me in the shoulder.

"Fine. I'll fix it. Again! But dude, you gotta get a new car." We laughed.

I spent another hour chatting with Ricky and he said he could have my truck fixed by tomorrow morning. But I would have to help him clean the bar afterwards. I agreed to it said my last goodbye before lounging in my truck. Ricky's bar closed up and was happy he didn't have to clean tomorrow.

I, on the other hand, was reluctant about going back to my dad's house. For being twenty-five, this is not how I wanted to live.

I told Ricky I had a place to go, but as I rubbed my hands together for heat in my leathery seats, I regretted it.

I looked at the wall on the back left door. It had tally marks carved into it, each one marking a day I slept in here. I pulled out a knife and etched in another slant marking 985. Almost three years. Ever since I was about 22. I sighed.

I bought the knife after winning my hundredth game in a row. It was six inches long and the finest silver ever made. I shivered again.

I changed into my only blue t-shirt and black jeans-which was hard considering I was in a truck. Winter was coming and all I owned was two outfits. Not. Good.

Curling up in the back, I finally drifted off to sleep.

I woke up to coughing from the cold. The sun shown through the window creating a beam of light. Dust randomly flew throughout it. People carelessly strolled by on the sidewalk.

Ricky would be fixing my truck soon, so I figured I should just go home. When I got out of my truck, it was much warmer, barely above freezing. I was still in my t-shirt and jeans, but for once, I got used to the cold and didn't shiver. People probably thought I was crazy with no coat.

I made sure I had my blade in my pocket. A lot of people want their money back, and usually try to jump me. But they wouldn't recognize me now anyway.

I walked down the sidewalk and could see the house in sight. A tear slipped down my cheek. I can't take it anymore. I desperately wished for something in my life to change, but I quickly ran out of hope.

The door opened with a creak and as soon as it closed, I was bombarded with...

With...

A hug. Who was hugging me? I realized my dad was hugging me.

"I'm sorry. Just please, don't leave. I can't lose you like I did your mom." He pleaded.

I wrapped my arms around him and before I knew it, I was sobbing into his shoulder. "I don't know what to do."

"It's okay." My dad replied and we let go. "Now, I have a case to go to but maybe tomorrow we can talk." He added. I nodded yes.

As my dad left the house, I lounged around bored out of my mind. I decided to go and check on my truck since Ricky should have it done by now. I threw on one of the jackets my dad owned and stepped into the cold.

I could see my breath. Even though the sun was shining, it was below freezing.

Once I reached my truck, Ricky had left a note on the windshield.

Fixed truck a while ago. Couldn't find you. You owe me! I'll be in the bar. -Ricky

I decided to just drive around and clear my head. Ricky had once again filled my gas, so I wouldn't need to fill it for a while.

I drove out of town-it was a small town anyway- and the paved road converted into a highway.

My thoughts drifted towards my mom; I missed her. She had left years ago when I was in high school. She never said she loved me, or even goodbye. I couldn't figure out why she left, but I think she fell in love with another man.

Every night she would come home either drunk or never come home at all. She always smelled like a dog, or a cat, I couldn't tell. And no one I knew owned a pet.

She even took all the money out of our bank account. But since my dad was a lawyer, we could easily afford everything, even a new car since she stole ours.

Suddenly a deer appeared in front of me and I swerved. A car honked behind me and their music was blaring. I drove off into the ditch.

I ran my shaky hands through my hair. What is wrong with me? I am on a death wish.

With all my luck, a police car appeared behind me, their lights blinding me.

I sighed. Figures.

"What can I do for you?" I asked as I rolled down my window.

"License and registration." I pulled out my wallet and gave him what he asked for.

"May I ask, what am I being pulled over for?"

"DUI. Please, step out of the car."

Drunk driving? Are you serious??

I stepped out of my car. "There was a deer in front of me. Don't you have cameras?" I asked.

He gave me a grim look. "Follow this line." He pointed to the painted line on the side of the road.

I rolled my eyes and placed one foot in front of the other. I followed it flawlessly.

"I'm gonna let you off with a ticket for distracted driving." He replied.

I knew better than to argue with him, especially since I was a card reader. I frustratingly ripped the ticket out of his hand and waited for the cop to drive away before letting out a scream.