•CHAPTER 15•

I was tempted every second to just go and try to find him. But I knew I wouldn't have a chance.

I stormed out of the station and found Eric outside smoking.

"You're ex leave?" I asked him.

He gave me a glare. "Ricky, whatever you think, I'm not back with her. She is just here because Kyle is missing!"

I smirked. "Really? You disappeared a day before Kyle did. He came to me depressed. I know more about him than you."

"No, you don't! I've raised Kyle by myself. You are just a friend."

I continued to argue. "Eric.l, my dad and you used to always be friends. Trust me, Kyle has secrets he only told me."

"Why are we even having this conversation?" He asked. He threw us cigarette butt on the ground and smashed it with his foot. "It's the least of our worries."

"Because if Kyle is saved, and when he is saved, the truth about what Kyle really does is gonna come out. And it's gonna hit you hard. I'm just trying to warn you." But in reality, I hated his guts.

"What do you mean the truth?" He asked, now curious. I knew I had to tell him eventually. The FBI would interrogate him and find out.

"Kyle is a gambler." His face remained the same, so I explained. "He is smarter than you think, the smartest guy I know. But he uses his brain to read cards. To cheat and win money."

At first, Eric said nothing. "What?"

"He illegally wins money. It's all eh could live on since you didn't give him any." Before another argument went on, I continued. "I haven't told anyone because it could get him arrested. The whole reason why Kyle is missing is because George found out that he is a criminal. He threatened Kyle to spill to the cops. So Kyle was forced to obey him."

"No. You're wrong. Kyle would never do such a thing. I raised him better!" He convinced himself.

"Mr. Eric, it's nothing but the truth. But I know one thing; Kyle didn't have to get involved in this gang. He could've stayed out of it. But he was determined. He made this choice and only he could get out of it. If he truly wants to."

Tears built up in Eric's eyes. Huh, so he does care. "The only way to save Kyle is the FBI. So either help, or leave!"

Without waiting for an answer, I turned around and walked back into the police station.

"-are looking into it. We think it could be related to the case because the person who won all that money was Kyle."

"Woah woah woah," I began and everyone turned to look at me. "Isn't casino winnings the least of our worries?"

"Mr. Ricky," a man said in the center of a circle. He wore a S.W.A.T. uniform and behind him stood eight or so other men in SWAT uniforms. "Kyle won hundreds of dollars in money before he went missing. Cameras at the casino might reveal some gang members who had bid with him."

"But you know where Kyle is. Shouldn't you send a team there to at least spy on the building?"

The man stepped closer to me which made everyone in the room shuffle. "We need facial identities. Otherwise we could be screwed and walk into a stranger's home."

I glared at him as he glared back. "I think it's best for Mr. Ricky to go home and get sleep. All of us should. We've been up for over 24 hours. I'll work on the case until I literally can't stand up without falling a sleep."

He turned to me again. "I promise. I will not stop until he is found. But right now, my men and I need more facts to know what we are walking into. It's too risky right now."

I knew he was right. I guess I'm just getting frustrated.

With one last sigh, I exited the room. I had closed my bar, so I had no choice but to go home.

But on the way there, I was overcome with emotions. I didn't want to go home. Kyle was there. I would be alone.

So instead, I decided to pull over and call my mom.

I didn't expect her to answer, especially since we haven't talked in years. Kyle knows that I didn't have a good relationship with her, which is why I never talked about her.

However, right now... she's the only one I've got.

The phone rang and rang and I just listened to the card passing by. Right when I expected her not to answer. She did.

"Ricky? Is everything okay?" She asked. She probably found it strange that I was calling. I knew her time was expiring, which made me feel the guiltiest. So, in some way, I'm grateful for this call.

"Hi, mom." I paused, thinking of the right words. "I know I haven't called in a while."

"It's nice that you did." She replied. An awkward pause follows. I hate when that happens. "You still there?" She asked.

"Yeah. I just, I needed someone to talk to." My voice broke and I found myself crying.

"Ricky, what's wrong?" My mom had always liked Kyle, even though he didn't notice. He barely even knows her.

"It's Kyle. He's been... kidnapped or something and hasn't been back in three days."

"I'm sure he just-" she stopped when she heard me sniff.

"No. The SWAT is involved, mom. The damn SWAT! And so is FBI. And aren't they only involved if someone is murdered?"

"Ricky, calm down. I'm sure Kyle is fine. I'm sure of it." Although her voice didn't sound so sure.

"They know where he is. But they won't get him because it's too risky. The whole kidnappers have guns. The whole gang. And Kyle could be halfway across the world right now! All they know is where he was when he last called- a day ago!"

"Ricky, why don't you come over? We can talk. And by tomorrow you can go back to the station. Besides, we will get a call if they find anything."

I knew I should since I haven't slept in forever. But I still felt weird hanging out with my mom while Kyle could be hurt. Or dead.

"Okay." I agreed. "That would be nice."