True North

It was the peak of winter and everyone in town was heading to the bait shops to get newly equipped for ice fishing season. My dads best friend uncle Faunsy owns the shop. Uncle Faunsy and my dad go way back to elementary school. Although Uncle Faunsy was a year older then my father. Also he isn't really my uncle I just call him that.

During ice fishing season the shop gets really busy and when he needs extra hands I'm the first one he calls because he knows I need the money. Lately I've been thinking about going to college in Buffalo or New York which is very far from home but I simply can't bare leaving my father up here alone. You see Northern Alaska isn't the safest place to live. There are polar bears and snow cats and thin ice. You have to be very careful.

My mom was a war veteran and she passed away when I was 2 so ever since then it's been just me and my dad, well and Uncle Faunsy.

I was working at the shop on a busy Saturday afternoon.

"Hi welcome to Alsborrow bait shop. Is there anything I can help you with?" I asked walking around.

"You sound Canadian, kid.." a costumer mumbled walking by.

"It's called being polite." I snapped.

I made my way around the store just peeking around for anyone trying to steal or anyone in need of help. Which was a waist of time because these were the usual costumers that come every year.

I went over to the cashier to help Wendy, the new girl.

"Come on kid I-been-waitin' 2 minutes for me change!" an old scruffy man scoffed at Wendy.

"Wendy need some help?" I asked.

"Yes." she admitted stepping back from the cash register. I took her place and gave the man his change.

"Sorry, I really suck at math." Wendy said.

"Nah, it's okay. You're only a grade 9 you'll be useful for asking costumers if they need help." I said. Scanning in the next guys items. Wendy went off watching and asking people.

"That'll be twelve dollars." I told the costumer. He looked very foreign. He handed me a twenty dollar bill.

I handed him eight dollars in one dollar bills and he did the weirdest thing.

He smiled widely with tears in his eyes and said very loudly, "Tanka-you!"

And then he hugged me and left. The guy behind him muttered something racist. Then I cashed out.

Around 5 the store became empty.

Wendy left about an hour ago and I was there alone with Uncle Faunsy.

"Great day today. How much in tips you make?" he asked.

"Well Wendy's jar got a quarter and a chewed piece of gum and I got..." I said as I counted.

"6 dollars and 75 cents." I said.

"Well today's pay day so come get it." Uncle Faunsy said.

He always paid me more then Wendy because.. Well I guess I'm the favorite.

This week for working 64 hours I got 475 dollars. I smiled. This would so help my fund.

I gave uncle Faunsy a hug as he locked up the shop. I put my parka on. My uggs kept my feet warm but they get wet so fast.

I got in Uncle Faunsy's truck.

"So, what shift do I get tomorrow? 12-5 again?" I asked putting my seat belt on.

He pulled out and began to drive.

"I'm actually going to need you to do the 7am-5pm shift." he said