Chapter 1: Daughter of the Fields

Forests of Oromë, Valinor, Age of the Trees

The birds sang me a welcoming song in the branches of the pine trees, and I smiled at how the creatures were rarely seen but always heard. If I was lucky, I was able to catch a glimpse of their bright and colourful wings, flying from one tree to another. Telemna, my faithful horse, took me along through one of the more unexplored forest trails, trotting at a smooth pace. The scent and sight of pine invigorated my senses, and the remote greenery captivated my curiosity all the more as I continued further into the wood.

After travelling onward for five pleasant days, the narrow path had led me the deepest into the forest I've ventured into without a companion by my side. When I lived in my adolescent years, I saw it as all the more reason to hold my chin high and enjoy the absence of a protective parent, which was one of the best rewards for me on a journey. But after having developed into a fully matured Elf, every solitary adventure was seen as a normal outing.

I had been granted one of the rare moments where I could take a break from family duties and instead appreciate the woodland's thriving peace unbeknownst to few, aside from the Maiar of Oromë. Atar and Amil both knew how hard I was working on my studies. In addition, I had been assisting my brothers with their own, reading through pages of history and explaining the techniques of forgery.

I was devoted to help their young minds learn more of the vast knowledge of our world, but what I wouldn't give to get one of these days more often, to simply lay my back on a bed of grass and breathe in the morning air. Sometimes during Telperion's reign, my dreams consisted of listening to nature's confessions and secrets. And the constant responsibilities of the eldest child had been driven away...

It was within the Forests of Oromë where I could live in those dreams.

We soon arrived at a broad clearing, bathed in the late peak of Laurelin's golden light. The long blades of grass swayed in the field, as if beckoning me to come join them in a light dance. I dismounted from Telemna, and leaned against a tree trunk. My hand reached into my satchel and quickly found one of the apples I picked from an apple tree along the way. Telemna gave a snort and made an attempt to snatch the fruit from me with her hungry mouth.

"No, friend," I chuckled and rubbed her grey muzzle, "if you wish to eat, why should you not take the carrot treats I brought only for you?" I offered a bright orange carrot to her, and sure enough, she ate it without a moment's hesitation.

My gaze wandered back to the view of the pasture, but then my unprepared eyes beheld a sight that hadn't been there the last time I looked. My first thought was that she must have been a Maia of Yavanna. But after blinking twice, I realized she could have also been one of the Vanyar who abode near the forest. Laurelin's rays shone onto her freely dancing form. Her hair, golden as honey, flowed behind her in an unrestrained course. The wind skimmed through the sleeves of her emerald green dress, which perfectly blended with the forest surroundings.

Guilt gnawed at me for watching the maiden without her knowledge, but how could I turn my back on the free-spirited dancing that captured my attention more than any other sight in the woods?

When she stilled, her back faced my direction. A warm breeze blew her hair to make it appear as a rippling river of gold. She lifted her pale arms to the sky, basking in the glorious afternoon bliss.

Telemna gave an unpredicted whinny, betraying my presence. "Peace, Telemna!" I turned to the maiden, and she was facing us, her expression tinged with surprise and even slight embarrassment.

I gave her a kind smile. "There are times when adventure calls to your heart. Today was one of those days for me."

She ran her fingers through her windblown locks. "Lord Nelyafinwë," the girl curtsied quickly, "I was not aware you stood nearby. I apologize for not acknowledging you sooner."

"Dear maiden, there is no need to apologize. In consideration of your movement, I assume you take pleasure in the art of dancing." Her cheeks coloured pink at my observation, yet her nerves also seemed to calm. I stepped out of the shadows of the forest, and entered the field so we need not raise our voices to one another. "When I indulge myself in the things I enjoy, I cannot help but close off the world around me. It is like there is a wall between myself and my surroundings." I lifted my hand to the woodland serenity around us. "Oromë's nature has this effect on me even as we speak, especially after five days being away from civilization."

Her eyes sparkled in answer, an indication that she knew the feeling. "You speak the truth, my Lord. As a Vanya, I have grown up watching my kin dance in a likeness such as I was. For as long as I can remember, my Amil encouraged me to dance with her under Laurelin's waning light before sending me to sleep."

So she is a Vanya. "Your mother taught you well— what name may I know you by?"

"Lilótëa Athyariel, my Prince." Her second curtsy was carried out with more ease than the previous one. She glanced to her right, and then her left as if desperately searching for a nimble animal that could be anywhere within the trees. "May I be excused from your presence? As you have said, pleasures may lead one to forgetting about reality. I am afraid I came to a world where a daughter is too far from home to remember her father's requests."

"Of course, Lilótëa Athyariel. Regretfully, I should be on my way home as well." I mounted my horse and prepared the reins for communicating my orders. Lilótëa stared up at me, and I made sure to memorize the image of those wide, light green eyes. "Perhaps our paths will happen to cross again." I and Telemna turned away from the glowing clearing, and the Vanya who twirled in elegance for me.

Lilótëa, Caurëawen Lisseva- 'Timid Maiden of Grace'- I will not forget you. That much I knew as I continued into the dirt path and towering tree trunks, swallowing me with every step further.

* * *

It had been half the truth.

Lilótëa swiftly dodged the trees that stood in her way as she leapt and bound like a wild deer. She kept running until a fair distance lay between herself and Nelyafinwë. As she slowed her pace, she lifted a hand to her heart, feeling the rapid thumps in her chest.

It had been half the truth. Her father had asked her not to be too late so she could help tend to their garden, but she had used that as an excuse to end the conversation sooner. Her diffidence had won over taking chances.

By seeing him at the gatherings in Tirion, and hearing talk of the Noldorin prince, she knew quite well of the natural beauty he possessed. But on that day, she did not expect to come face to face and up close with that beauty. It was a whole new experience of looking up to his tall form— not only on the ground, but when he sat atop his regal beast, too— rather than hearing the mere words that only described his remarkable height.

He had not been overly intimidating, as she had expected conversing with royalty to be like for her. Although he had simply appeared, and saw her dancing when she thought she'd been alone. Those were the two things that made her heart pound the most, like there was a hidden fire within her just waiting to be let out.

She found herself hoping that the frightening sensation would return to her again... but not yet.