Chapter 8: Return to Oromë's Woods

Bright, golden light shone through Lilótëa's window, surely promising a good first day of her walk in the woods. She flung her blanket aside as she stood up to make her bed.

The evening before, she made sure to have her traveling dress prepared. It did not take much thought for Lilótëa to settle on the same emerald one she wore on their first meeting. This time, she decided to bring her lightweight cloak with her in case Manwë and Ulmo sent rain onto Arda. She had never minded getting drenched in cool droplets tumbling to the ground, so a heavy cloak was not necessary. If a rare storm happened to take place, the trees would give her protection.

Lilótëa walked out of her room and down the stairs, her spirits rising with every step. She found her parents and Elenwë eating their first meal of the day.

"The weather smiles upon you today, Lilótëa," her father Milyon said as she packed food in her bag.

"I wish you'd let me come with you," Elenwë feigned a childish pout.

Unbeknownst to Milyon and Atheanís, their youngest daughter was fully aware of what Lilótëa's true plans were. Elenwë made sure to privately ask if there were any happenings at the Celebration in regards to a certain red-haired prince. With a radiant blush, Lilótëa told her every detail worth mentioning. As a faithful sibling, Elenwë knew not to disturb the precious time they'd have. It would be used to become more acquainted with each other. The last thing she wanted was to intrude on what she called "early days between possible future lovers".

Lilótëa felt the unpleasant feeling of guilt settle in her stomach. Her parents had done nothing wrong to deserve this information being kept from them. But her conscience told her she had no other choice. Would Milyon and Atheanís say that making friends with the Noldorin heir was dangerous, all because of his father's hostility towards the Vanya Indis and her kindred?

Nelyafinwë does not take after Fëanáro, she wanted to tell them, but her reserved personality and fear of disapproval stopped her from bringing it up. And a small part of her she hated whispered to remind her, with a sharp edge to its tone, that continuing to meet up with him was futile. Even if Nelyafinwë came to share her feelings, their marriage would be forbidden if Fëanáro had his own way.

Before her departure, Lilótëa took the time to eat with her family. Fresh peaches from their orchard, crunchy celery, sweet berries, and bread were laid out on the wooden table. In the remote area where they lived, she could always count on delightful food grown under Yavanna's care. The nearest Vanyarin neighbors shared her family's harvest, and they were equally as satisfied with the palatable flavours that each fruit and vegetable brought to their mouths.

When her last celery stick was gone, she stood up, smoothing the front of her dress.

"Are you leaving now?" Milyon asked.

"Yes," she nodded.

Atheanís enveloped her in a warm, motherly embrace. "I bid you a journey as pleasurable as your last one. Perhaps this one will be even better."

Lilótëa smiled at the thought of her mother's prospect evolving into another real event in her life. 

"Don't be gone too long or stray from the path," Milyon added.

"But Atar," Elenwë said with a playful roll of her eyes, "we all know the path well."

"It's part of being a father," he replied as his own arms wrapped around Lilótëa. "Fathers tend to worry that the worst incidents could befall his daughters."

"She'll be careful, like she always has," Atheanís assured him. Milyon slowly released his hold on Lilótëa, as if that was the last they'd see each other for many years. When Atheanís took her husband's hand in hers, Lilótëa walked to the door.  

She opened it, and the breath of forest air welcomed her, along with morning's mirthful sounds. Just after she entered the outside world, Elenwë rushed over to hug her too. "Don't let him take you to his home yet." She kept her voice low so only Lilótëa's ears could hear.

The older sister giggled softly, imagining what it would be like to meet the rest of Nelyafinwë's brothers. While she wasn't fond of presenting herself to them anytime soon, the picture of being surrounded by energetic Fëanorian brothers certainly came out as entertaining. Why she laughed at it and trembled not, the reason was unknown. However, she concluded that her own dominating exuberance was the most definite cause to blame.

After calling the last farewells to her family, she set off into the deep environment of Oromë's woods.

* * *

Lilótëa carried on with her walk on the dusty trail. Her long strands were beginning to come loose from her thick braid after three days of traveling with few rests. But her vigour did not subside, and she wanted to get to the forest glade as soon as possible. In addition to that, she did not wish to be responsible for making Nelyafinwë wait too long. A little less glow of Telperion's silver and more shadows of the trees did not make her stop. The night was still young, and she'd be able to rest in the grass once she arrived at her destination.

Up ahead there was a break in the trees. Just as she'd judged, her walk in the dark did not take long. As she entered the field, familiar blades of grass brushed her waist. Across the view, there was no evidence of Nelyafinwë.

When she shed her cloak and hung it on a tree branch above her bag, no Elf dozed against a trunk in her sight. The stars twinkled above, high in a sky that had the colour of an indigo ocean. Here Telperion is more distant, but it never fails to grace nearly every area of Valinor save the farthest shores.

A rush of elate joy blessed Lilótëa at seeing the wide open heavens. A delicate laugh escaped her lips as she ran back into the field to twirl her body in carefree circles. Her hands took the ends of her hair and liberated the tresses from her braid's restraints. She was there, and Nelyafinwë would eventually arrive as well. During the time he'd spend with her, she would try her best not to look like a blundering fool. How difficult that would be, but even if that challenge was unsuccessful, she could not have been more willing to dedicate the next upcoming days to him.

Only after she slowed her dancing to a sway was when she noticed her legs subtly begging for a rest. At last, she headed beside the tree where her belongings were. There, she laid herself onto her side, arms hugging herself. With the shorter grass and her cloak serving as a cushion, she drifted to sleep beneath the watchful stars.

* * *

Past the dark trees and mysterious, nocturnal eyes Telemna took me. Neither horse nor myself felt fatigued, for there was no need to hasten our movements. Once the clearing came into view, I was glad that today we made a point not to halt our steps. Lilótëa would not have to wait for me and I would be there already, patiently expecting her appearance.

With my long rope, I tied Telemna to a tree after walking further into the field. Knowing it was time for sleep, she brought her legs to the ground and lowered her neck.

I was about to settle down myself, but my eyes were quick to pull me away from that intention. They had been distracted by her, an angel's daughter fallen from the Halls of Eru. Her hair was displayed about her face and back. I watched her chest rise and fall, her face content in a deep sleep. I ached to bring Lilótëa close to me, and hold her the entire night as she slept. But modesty held me back. It would be unsuitable to act upon such physical touch so early into the relationship.

Keeping my distance in respect for her, I laid my back down on the grass. Because of her presence, I was barely able to convince my mind that sleep was the main objective to focus on.

* * *

After hours must have passed, the unfamiliar noise disturbed her resting senses. Lilótëa's instant thought was that Nelyafinwë had arrived, but no voice spoke to the waking girl. Half asleep, she sat up and searched the forest behind her for signs of a living, lurking thing. Nothing visible haunted the darkness.

Although when looking to to her left, she gave a startled cry. Towering above her was the silhouette of a great horned beast. Its eyes glowed like candle flames, reflecting the light given by Telperion and the stars. Those burning eyes bore into her own frightful ones, terrified to do so little as blink.

Crouched below the commanding creature, she felt as helpless as a child. Of course, she had spotted the animal inhabitants of Oromë's forest before. But never in her life had she encountered a full grown elk so closely.