Chapter 7: Furtive Feelings

I'm not the best drawer but I decided to post my drawing of an oath-burdened Maedhros here for y'all! I'm guessing he made that face during some parts of this chapter. 😂

Only three days had passed since the Celebration of the Two Trees, and the next eleven could not come sooner. While I spent every precious second with her, Eru knew I could not pass up the opportunity to see her again. If I did not suggest that she show me her bed of flowers, we may not have met again for a long time, most likely until the next gathering of all the Calaquendi.

I sat in the parlor with the rest of the family, relaxing after travelling for most of the day. Across from me, Káno plucked the strings of his lyre as if they could break from the gentlest touch. Like always, he played the most pleasant sounds for background music. Meanwhile, the Ambarussa danced in a circle with their wooden swords, practicing the most recent moves their father taught them. Tyelko, Moryo, and Curvo were their audience, highly engaged in the performance. They made sure to critique their strategies but did not forget to shout cheers that were at times over exaggerated and unnecessarily loud. I shared a couch with Atar and Amil, their arms wrapped around each other's shoulders.

Indon, one of the four ever-reliable servants in our house, took the empty space of the couch between me and Amil. "Did you find your day went well, Maitimo?" He asked me. The other servants- Maquetima, Sailano, and Nildion- walked in to join us as well. They and their parents before them had been in service to the House of Finwë since Atar was a child. We knew them for so long that there was no need for them to call us their "Masters". I believed that Indon was the one I got along with the most.

"Oh yes," I nodded, "we had a smooth journey back, and most importantly I had to tell these little brothers of mine to behave only twice."

Moryo caught the last part of my sentence. His brows frowned in distaste at my comment, even though he aroused little trouble on our way.

"When you returned home, Maitimo, you seemed more distant than the last time we spoke," Maquetima ventured to say. "Did anything go wrong at the celebration?"

So she, too, noticed my thoughts are far away. "Not at all. Lately I am just... thinking in depth. It's nothing serious."

"Does it have anything to do with the gorgeous women you saw?" Maquetima asked teasingly. I tried my hardest not to noticeably react at her words— and how close she spoke to the truth.

"No... I'm planning my activities in the Forests of Oromë while Atar, Tyelko and the Ambarussa go on their hunting trip."

"Oh Nelyo," Amil sighed, "why ever did you choose the same day as their departure to leave? I'd really appreciate your help around here."

"And leave my siblings with one less tutor while they still have lessons? Not all of your sons have left you to care for the house alone, Amil. And I'm sure Indon and the others here don't plan on a holiday anytime soon."

Indon shook his head, and Amil's face relaxed at our reassurances.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Tyelko and Curvo go to Maquetima, whispering things that must have concerned me since Curvo smirked more than once in my direction. They began snickering, then Tyelko said for all to hear, "Have you anyone in mind for a wife, oldest brother?"

I closed my eyes and wondered if my face was flushing. "Not yet, and is it really necessary to think about marriage at my age?"

"You're well into adulthood," Maquetima insisted, "Surely you've met someone throughout your life that you've thought of marrying before? Not that I'm trying to rush you, though."

The Ambarrussa stopped their swordplay, deciding that marriage imitations and dances made for a happy couple were far more entertaining. I rolled my eyes. "Maquetima, can you tell me how we got onto this topic again?" I was glad that Moryo and Káno didn't try to bother me with this, along with Indon, Sailano and Nildion. I could only hope that my parents saw all of this as frivolous banter.

"Atar!" Tyelko marched over to our father, Curvo trailing not too far behind. "Won't you help Nelyo find a beautiful maiden to marry? I think he should find her soon before he gets as old as grandfather Finwë!"

"Not so hasty, Tyelko!" chuckled Amil. "Nelyo will discuss it with us if he has found the right lady for him. Then we will worry about the engagement and marriage process. Don't you agree, Fëanáro?"

"Yes," Atar nodded calmly, "and if he wishes to be unmarried, there's always the six of you to expand the family."

Curvo pouted, his bottom lip protruding. "I don't think I'll be one of your sons who get married."

"How can you be so sure?" Indon smiled. "The future is not always what it seems, young Curufinwë. Sometimes it is hidden by fog that temporarily clouds our vision. One day, you could very well see love as a wonderful experience."

I ended up glancing at Káno. His eyes twinkled with laughter at the whole scene. He must have guessed how badly I wanted to leave the room, for he was the only one who knew about Lilótëa and the second encounter of what secretly happened between us. The talk of my own marriage did not, in any way, tear my thoughts from her. And with this particular maiden on my mind, the behaviours that looked strange to others could not be controlled.

Tyelko placed his elbows on my knees. "You know, Nelyo..." he began, "I could help you find a wife, too. Which maidens do you prefer- our kind with the dark hair and impressive talents? What about a silver-haired Teler who might invite you onto her ship? Or the Vanyar with their sunshine locks and romantic poems?"

For a short while, an intense silence pervaded the room. "You know, Tyelko?" I said, standing up. "These last few days have been quite busy with travelling and staying up late, so I don't think I'm ready to answer these questions of yours. Instead, I am ready for a nice sleep in my bed— without a maiden beside me."

As I brushed by Amil and Atar, I could swear I saw something unusual in Atar's subtle grin.  Did he grin for a reason other than amusement, or could it only have been my imagination?

Before closing the door behind me, I said, "Sleep well, everyone."

When I began ascending the stairs to my chamber, I heard Maquetima say, "I congratulate you, Tyelko, for scaring him away."

He did not scare me, I internally contradicted. It is for the best if I am to protect these powerful feelings that burn within me.

Lol I hope ya's liked this chapter- as you can tell I felt like including lots of humour in this one. XD