Chapter 6: Under the Trees

When Lilótëa failed to utter the right words, Nelyafinwë thankfully spoke again. "It seems we both had the same idea— to consult in Yavanna's creations which she made for us. This is how we've met before, is it not?"

The maiden tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "As you may have guessed, it has never been easy for me to feel comfortable in large crowds such as these." She gestured to the mingling Elven crowds in their view. "So instead of consoling words, I often seek the company of trees." She took off her flowery crown and offered it to him. "This is a product of nature's gifts and an undistracted imagination."

As he looked at it more closely in his hands, his eyebrows raised. "You made this yourself? It is very fitting for the celebration— and your name, for that matter."

A warm blush crept onto Lilótëa's cheeks. Such compliments would be seen as customary to be said by a diplomatic prince, yet she became affected so easily by the smallest details. That included the fact that he even remembered her name.

"My father gave me the name that means 'Having Many Flowers' after I displayed my love for flowers at a young age. Not long after my birth, he took me to an area in Yavanna's fields that thrived with many types of flowers. Their colours ranged from the brightest of pinks to deep blues. As Atar let me touch the petals with my tiny fingers, he understood clearly that I did not want to leave the place. And so it became a habit to return there, to that flower bed that filled my heart with joy. It almost became like... a second home."

He handed the crown back to her. "Is it one of the special places where you danced with your mother?"

Why she told him so much of her past, she did not know. Her reminiscing sigh was quiet and subtle. "Yes."

A silence settled over them, and despite the peace of it, Lilótëa felt the agitation rise. His possibly judgemental opinion of her was no longer a problem- she had been convinced that Nelyafinwë was not the type to look down on the people his family rules over. But that did not stop her from being conscious of her own feelings towards him, for they threatened to affect her own actions. With his handsome looks and kind, inquisitive attitude, she found herself caring how she acted in front of him more than others. It mattered, more than she wanted it to be.

"M-my Lord?" she began with a faltering voice, "If you don't mind my asking, are there better occupations you could be doing? It's not that I ask you to leave. I only do not wish to be the one responsible who kept you away from your obligations."

He let out a friendly chuckle. "Believe me Lilótëa, if there were other important matters at hand, I would not be here. Do not trouble yourself over me."

After he spoke the words, her gentle smile came effortlessly. She smiled because she heard her name come from his lips for the first time— which was what the male most likely did not know.

"I suppose you've noticed your sister making a friend in Turukáno," Nelyafinwë said.

"I did," the Vanya nodded, once again looking into the view of Elves gathering before the Trees. "Elenwë has wanted to talk to one of the noble princes for a while. It appears that today, she decided to seize her chance."

"Now you, too, have a chance to talk to a prince as well." He paused, silver eyes flickering to the right, then the left. "I hope I am not intruding—do you wish to be alone?"

"Oh, no! Please, do not think of it that way. I... already had my time alone while making my crown."

As he gave a brief nod, Lilótëa thought she saw his expression suggesting some relief in her answer. "This discussion leads me to wondering if you have met any of my own brothers."