Chapter 2.

The moment my eyes finally meet his, his whole demeanor changes. He quickly fixes his tie. He whispers something to the woman sitting next to him and stands up. I panic, throwing back two more shots and walking back down stairs as quickly as I could.

"Danielle!" Shit. Shit. Shit. Keep walking. Just keep walking. "Danielle, please!" Shit! He grabs me by my elbow and turns me around. "Danielle," He whispers. His fingers slide down my cheek, wiping away a tear that I didn't even know had fallen.

"Don't," I hiss and pull my arm out of his grip. "Don't act like nothing happened, like you haven't been gone for a year and a half, like we never ended. Goodbye." I can't believe that just happened. I knew it was a bad idea to come out tonight. I knew I should have just stayed at home, none of this would have happened, I wouldn't have seen him. I turn away from him and run outside. When I hit the door, it opens and the California air makes my breath hitch. I feel like I've been chocked. I'm gasping for air like I haven't had any in years.

"Danielle! There you are!" Jeremy runs to me, wrapping me in his arms. "I saw it. I saw what happened, Danielle. I'm sorry I didn't interfere. I tried, but it was like I couldn't move, I was frozen that he actually said something to you."

"I wanna go home." I cry into his shirt. "I just wanna go home." He nods and we walk to the car.

Seeing him hurt more than him cheating on me. I feel an almost healed wound that has been cut open again. I'm proud of myself. I didn't give in, I didn't even let him speak.

Before I know it we're pulling into the apartment complex and I can practically hear my bed calling my name. Before Jeremy even has a chance to put the car in park, I jump out. After ten minutes of looking for my house key, I open the door, dropping my shoes, keys, and purse in the hallway. I pull my dress off, grab a T-shirt from my chest of drawers, and get into my bed.

"Dani," Jeremy whispers, pulling off his shirt and jeans and laying down beside me. "Danielle, don't be upset," He pulls me into his front. I nuzzle my face into his neck and he sighs. "He's not even worth the tears, Danielle. I know, I know, you love him. It'll get better, I promise. Maybe seeing him tonight was a good thing. It might help you heal a lot faster. Joseph was really sorry he kissed you, but he didn't know what else to do. He was just tired of him staring, so he did what popped into his head." He brings my hand up to his lips and kisses my knuckle softly. "I'm sorry, babes,"

"It just hurts so damn much," I whisper. The alcohol from earlier was making it better and I bust out laughing.

"What?" Jeremy laughs along with me.

"Why can't you like girls?" I say with a sigh. "You'd make any woman happy."

"Do I make you happy?" He asks quietly. I shake my head and he laughs softly.

"You're my best friend, Jer. You always make me happy." I bite my lip and sit up quickly. "Did you bring any pot earlier?" He sits up quickly and furrows his eyebrows together.

"Maybe, but I think I'm a little too drunk to pack a bowl, I can't focus my eyes for shit." I laugh and kiss his shoulder. "For you to be in love with someone, and for me to be gay, we sure kiss each other in various places a lot." He gives a warming smile. "But, I wouldn't wanna be giving kisses to any other woman but you," He smiles again and taps his finger on the end of my nose. "Now, how about that pot?"

*

"You wanna play Never Have I Ever?" I laugh as I remember all of us stealing my parents liquor and playing it in the basement. "I think I might have some Jack in the freezer from the graduation party." He hands me the pipe and gets up quickly, pulling out the jack and grabbing two shot glasses from the cabinet.