Chapter 8

|Danae|

"I don't need a baby sitter to follow me around the store, Danaë," Viviana snapped as she threw a bag of candy into the basket. I reached into the basket and placed it back on the shelf. We were grocery shopping for the Thanksgiving dish I promised my mom I would cook. I had finally given in to her and gave her permission to come over for Thanksgiving. She claimed she was going to prepare a feast for us, but I wasn't convinced. Beside I was nervous about this get together. The last time all of us sat at a table and ate, it went downhill. I hope this one can be better since we all grown now.

"I didn't say you did, I came in here to talk to you about your behavior. Did you really disrespect your mother like she wasn't shit," I snapped.

"Did Tiana tell you that? She's such a bitch," she snarled as she pushed the basket down the aisle. I shook my head.

"Viv you're out of control, that's why I want you to talk to my therapist," I suggested, making her look at me like I had just spat on her grave.

"Therapist? Danaë you don't even go talk to your own therapist! I'm not going sit in no lil ass room with a nigga, who is just as crazy as I am. I rather keep acting a damn fool," she said.

"Wrong answer. Now what you're gonna do is you're come with me to therapy tomorrow and you're gonna tell Dr. Morris How you're really feeling," I said.

"No I'm not! My p-," she started but the ringing of her phone interrupted her. She looked down at the screen and rolled her eyes. I peeped over tried to get a glimpse of who was calling.

"Who's that," I asked. She frowned and locked her phone.

"Nobody important. Look I don't need to talk to anyone but my dad," she said.

"So why haven't you talked to him yet," I asked.

"Because I don't want to be around Trudy, that's why. My daddy gon' try to be the peace maker and right now, I rather make up with Mónéy before I make up with her," Viviana snapped.

"She's still your mom Viv," I stated.

"Ok," she mumbled, completely ignoring me. I sighed and decided to drop the conversation. We obviously weren't getting anywhere so there was no use to keep pushing the issue.

We approached the canned goods aisle and I got this creeping feeling. A woman with a black durag covering her mouth and nose, walked pass us. She stared straight ahead then looked in my direction. Her dark eyes pierced through mines as she walked away. A can hitting the floor made me jump. I quickly looked at Viviana who had knocked two cans down.

"Viv," I said.

"My bad, I was trynna reach the canned peaches," she said. I turned back around to see that the lady had left. I blinked a few times before going over to help Viviana pick up the cans. I don't know why I was so jumpy today.

"Is that what you used to make your famous peach pie," I asked. She smiled.

"Yup! Everybody in juvie liked it," she boasted as he put the last town cans back on the shelf. I grabbed three cans of peaches before placing them in the basket.

"In that case, I'll be sitting it right beside me," I said. A figure quickly walked pass the aisle, making me suspicious. I swallowed my spit and got this uneasy feeling. Viviana noticed and called me out on it.

"What's wrong," she asked. I turned around and shook my head.

"I don't know, I just got the weird feeling that we're being watched," I mumbled as I scanned the store. She shrugged and grabbed a can of cranberry sauce.