Chapter 17

|Remy|

"Mmmmm, smells good in here," Mercedes mumbled as she walked into the kitchen. I looked up from the casserole I was preparing and rolled my eyes. She smiled sarcastically and walked over to the pot that had my mama's infamous mustard greens in.

"Ma, Mercedes trynna dig her dirty ass hands in yo' greens," I snitched. Darlene quickly walked into the kitchen and glared at her.

"Get yo' ass outta my pot and wash yo' hands. Them onions need to be chopped up," my mother scolded as she walked over to the fridge.

"Let Remy do it," Mercedes suggested with a shrug.

"Fuck off," I snapped, pointing a butcher's knife at her.

"Mercedes get over there and cut them onions up," Darlene demanded. Mercedes smacked her lips, but did as she was told.

"Imma go check on Charli. Can y'all behave for five seconds," my mother asked. Neither of us answered, but she still went to see about my daughter.

"Yo ass ain't staying here for no damn two months," I told Mercedes. She gave me a slight smirk before flipping me off.

"Fuck you and this stupid ass place of yours. I don't need to sleep here, I have a coworker who stays a few miles from here," she informed me.

"Good, go fuck the rest of their year up and leave me the hell alone," I snapped. My mother returned to the kitchen with Charli on her hip. I shook my head and stopped what I was doing.

"Ma, you know she can walk, right," I stated smartly.

"Leave that baby alone, you act like people don't hold a three year old anymore," Mercedes butted in.

"I'm sorry but who asked the trick anything," I questioned.

"You're the only trick in the room," she spat.

"Says the slut who records her self having sex," I reminded her.

"Who also gets paid for it. I'm a professional," Mercedes smirked.

"Professional disappointment," I frowned.

"Would you two stop it? Y'all can't act civilized for one second," Darlene complained as she sat Charli at the table.

"That's her ma. How is somebody with no kids, gon' tell me what to do with my child," I snapped.

"Girl Charli is barely your child, Jamal has that baby 25/8," Mercedes stated.

"Alright na'. I don't wanna hear nothing out of neither of y'all for the rest of the day. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and y'all acting like it's World War three," my mom complained, shaking her head. I eyed Mercedes as she squinted at me.

"Mommy can I eat, eat," Charli whined. I averted my eyes to the ceiling then went into the fridge to get her some milk.

"You'll have to eat cereal for breakfast this morning, baby. Mama and grandma or making a special meal for tomorrow," I informed her.

"Captain Crunch," she called out. I grabbed her favorite bowl from the cabinet and poured the cereal inside.

"So Remy have you thought about letting Mercedes stay here for the remainder of the year," my mom asked. I rolled my eyes and sat the bowl down in front of Charli.

"As a matter of fact ma, I have," I stated as I wiped the counters down.

"........And," Mercedes," questioned, awaiting my answer.

"You can't stay here with me," I said simply.

"Oh Remy, stop acting so damn rotten," Darlene scolded.