Chapter 12

(Y/n)'s POV

~The next day~

I slowly took my time to go to school, not even caring about my lesson with Hajime sensei. The only thing he ever did was scold or threaten me. I didn't want to rush just to see his ugly face.

I was probably already late for class but why did it matter? Len and Hino were 'together' and I just found out how much life sucked. Nothing ever went your way and everyone was against whatever you did.

It was strange...thinking how much Len could've changed me. Before, I would've panicked about being late and I never used to think that life was this harsh.

"(L/n), why are you late?"
"I'm terribly sorry but I had some difficulties at home."

Len's POV

(Y/n) looked terrible. The tone she used with the teacher just now...she was worried or annoyed at something...or someone. *sigh* I guess that would be me.

I hadn't intended for Hino to kiss me nor break our friendship apart even further...if it could even be broken any more than this. I was just too tired and shocked to do anything...

If only I knew...then I would've never pushed (Y/n) aside. I would've never ignored her when she was in pain...if only I knew the truth...

~Flashback~

"Tsukimori," Hino exclaimed.

(L/n) let her go before pushing her towards me with a rough shove. I caught her but before I got a chance to do anything else, she grabbed onto my shirt and kissed me.

I was honestly too shocked to do anything...even though (Y/n)'s tearful gaze tore my heart apart, I couldn't do anything. I just stayed still...like an idiot.

When I finally came back to my senses, (Y/n) and her brother had already left. Hino pulled away and smirked. That was when I realised that I had fallen into her trap.

"Hino-"
"Before you go on complaining, let me just confirm a few things," she said while standing up.
"Why?..."
"Why? Because I loved you but you loved her. It was fun to rip you two apart, like stealing candy from a child."
"What?"
"Enough of that. First, if you want to keep (Y/n) safe then you'll do as I say."
"Keep (Y/n) safe? What do you mean?"
"Those screenshots, do you know who made them and sent them to (Y/n)'s brother? It was me, but of course I had some help. You know Michiko Ai, right?"
"Michiko...?"

That girl! She was the one that messaged me before! But it's strange. Why would she want to get rid of (Y/n)?

"Well, she has a 'grudge' against (Y/n) because she says that she ruined her relationship with (L/n)."
"What does that-"
"If you actually want to keep (Y/n) safe then I suggest you do as I say. First of all, you will date me, even if it crushes (Y/n)'s heart."
"Why the hell would I do that? How do you expect to harm (Y/n)? She's-"
"Michiko has her brother under her control. He can't resist her."
"Hino, I don't think you understand. The bond that (Y/n) and her brother have is unbreakable. Not even a stupid ex can tear them apart like you did to me."
"Do you want to see me try? After I'm done, you'll certainly regret it."

I clenched my fists and glared at her. It was true...there was no guarantee that (Y/n) would be fine. There was no knowing what Hino and Michiko might do. *sigh* I felt so useless...

~Flashback end~

I looked at (Y/n). Damn it! I couldn't help but notice her eyes. They used to be so bright and full of hope. Now, they looked lifeless...like she had given up on everything. And the worst thing of all...was that I was the one that did that to her.

She met my gaze and seemed to be looking straight through me. I almost shivered. It was unbearable...I changed her and I didn't know how to get her back.

"Tsukimori, do you know the answer?" asked the teacher.

I half-heartedly answered the question. Surprisingly, it was correct. Not that it mattered. The only thing I wanted was for things to go back to normal.

As soon as the bell rang for lunch, (Y/n) rushed out of the classroom with her violin. I wanted to practise together like we used to but now, things were different. I was 'dating' Hino in order to keep (Y/n) safe.

"Tsukimori, over here!" Hino called out.

I managed not to glare at her and forced a somewhat awkward smile. It was hard keeping up with this stupid act. I couldn't pretend like everything was fine when it wasn't. How did Hino do that?...

"Tsukimori, can I talk to you?" asked Shimizu.
"Why do you want to?" Hino asked while clinging onto my arm.
"It's something important," he pleaded.
"Something important? It's probably about (Y/n). Well, guess what? Tsukimori doesn't care about that stupid girl."
"Is your name Tsukimori? I wasn't talking to you, Hino."
"Hino, I'll be back soon."

I pried her arm off mine. She gave me a look that said 'remember our deal'. I just sighed before following Shimizu to the school gardens. He seemed like he was deep in thought until he realised that he had called me out here to talk.

"What happened?" was the first thing that he asked.

I just looked at the sky, thinking. Should I tell him? Would that be a violation of my deal with Hino?

"Please tell me. I'm worried about (Y/n)."
"I'm sorry."

In the end, I realised that I couldn't tell him anything. Tch, pathetic...was I doing this to avoid hurting myself?...

"Well, then I guess it can't be helped. Whatever Hino threatened you with or whatever lies she told you, I suggest you forget about them...because (Y/n) would've preferred it that way."