Chapter 2

I do not own any if the characters that relate directly to the show Supernatural. The only original characters that are mine are Erin, Aiden, and Jay.

Sam sat at one of the desks, reading a random book he had pulled off of a shelf, when Dean finally awoke.

"Morning," Dean said to his brother as he walked out in his bluish-grey robe. "Anything exciting happen while I was asleep?" He asked sarcastically, as he sat down across from Sam at the table.

"Yes, actually" Sam said, setting the book down. "We, well, we have a guest,"

Dean laughed. "I'm sorry, what?" He asked incredulously.

"Keep it down, will you? She's trying to sleep," Sam said in a loud whisper.

"She, huh?" Dean said just as loudly as before. "I see what this is," he winked at Sam.

Sam leaned forward over the table, annoyed with his brother. "I found her sleeping on the ground outside our door, Dean," he said. "She looks like she hasn't eaten anything substantial in weeks and she told me she hasn't slept in 2 days. This is not about anything like that, it's about helping someone in a tough time," he said seriously.

Dean leaned back in his chair and put his hands up. "Hey Sammy, I wasn't meaning anything by it. It's great you're doing th-"

Suddenly Dean was interrupted by a loud scream coming from down the hallway. Sam and Dean jumped up, running down the hallway to Erin's room.

Sam went first, slamming the door open. "Erin!?" He yelled as he opened the door.

She screamed again when he came in, startled by his yell. Dean came in after him and they both stood there, looking at the shaking form on the bed.

Erin sat on the bed, her knees pulled up to her chest, her hands clamped down on her head, her eyes opened wide and her jaw closed tight. She was shaking from head to toe and her dirty face was smudged with fresh tears.

Sam looked at her, not knowing what to do, but Dean knew exactly what this was. He walked over to her slowly. She flinched away from him as he sat down on the bed next to her.

"Erin?" Dean looked at Sam to make sure that was her name. Sam nodded. "Erin, I'm Dean. I know what it's like, the nightmares that seem too real to be a dream," she looked over at him now, surprised by his understanding.

"I know it seems like it can't get any better, like the dreams will never go away, but they do,"he explained to her. "But that process doesn't start unless you talk about it," he said to her quietly.

She looked up at him, noticing how green his eyes were compared to her deep brown ones. She took a deep breath and Dean watched with interest and sadness as she calmed herself down enough to stop the shaking, but also as the light and fear in her eyes faded to a dead, dull brown.

"I'm sorry I freaked you guys out, you can leave," she said in a monotone.

"Erin," Sam and Dean said in unison.

She looked away, laying back down and turning over on the bed, not saying anything. Dean got up and looked at Sam, who nodded sadly and walked out the door.

Dean was just about to leave when he saw a shining silver on the ground. He leaned down and picked it up to see it was a knife.

He looked at the silver blade, slightly curved and very dangerous, if it was sharpened. The handle looked like it had been carved by someone, the wood was glossed over and protected. Then he noticed writing on the wood. The message wrapped around the handle, with a name at the very bottom.

He looked at the handle and read the message. It said:

"Erin, don't worry, I'll be back, I always come back. Until then, use this to protect yourself from the REAL monsters out there. Love you, kid. Happy birthday.

-Jay.

Suddenly a hand reached out and wrapped itself around the handle of the knife, though it didn't pull it away.

Dean looked up to see Erin standing in front of him, her hand holding the knife. Dean let go of the knife. "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean.." He began to stammer, but she interrupted him.

She shook her head. "No, don't be sorry, just please don't touch this," she said. Dean saw the sadness in her eyes.

"Can I ask what happened?" He asked quietly.

Erin shook her head. "No," she said tiredly. "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you," she said.

There was a silence between them that seemed to fill the entire room. She looked up at him, and he down at her. Then the sound of her rumbling stomach broke the silence.

Dean clapped his hands suddenly. "Time for some grub!" He said smiling. She held her stomach as it growled again. "You like burgers?" Dean asked her excitedly as she followed him out the door.

"You have no idea," she said with a half smile.

Dean winked at her. "That's what I like to hear," he said. "While I go make us some food, you can go and clean yourself up. There's a bathroom with a shower down that hallway on the left," Dean said, pointing down the hallway.

"Thanks," Erin answered. But she didn't leave. " um, I-I don't have, um.." She paused, looking embarrassed.

"Let me guess, you don't have any other clothes?" Dean said, smiling sympathetically. She nodded. "Okay, hold on a sec," he said, running into his room.

When he came back out, he had a stack if clothes. "This was my friend, well, more like sister's, clothes that she left here that last time she came to visit. She won't be back anytime soon, so you can wear them if you like," he said, handing her the clothes.

Erin smiled. "Thank you, Dean," she said and then turned around and walked off in the other direction, her knife in hand.