Let it Out

Storm

            As much as I didn’t want to answer the phone, I had to. Reagan comes first in my life. It sounds harsh but to be honest, Reagan was in my life a while longer than Joyful and if Reagan didn’t have me she wouldn’t be here because she has no one else.

            It sucks that this could possibly end my relationship but, it’s now or never.

“Hello.” I answered. I caressed Joy’s thigh as she laid on top of me and played with my ear.

“Hey daddy! Are you on the ground yet?” Reagan’s little voice asked through the phone.

“Yes, baby girl. I’m on the ground now.” I said with a chuckle. I watched as Joy lifted her head and frowns formed on her brow when I said, baby girl.

“Are you with the pretty lady? Can I talk to the pretty lady? Pretty please?” Reagan pleaded.

I sighed. “Hold on, Rae-rae.” I told her. Joyful moved off of me and sat up on the bed facing me. I looked in her eyes for a second and then back at the phone.

“I have somebody that wants to talk to you.” I said before handing her my phone. I guess I’ll let Reagan tell her what I couldn’t pull myself to tell.

Joyful

            I looked at Storm in shock when he handed his phone to me. He had just referred to some chick as “baby girl” and now she wanted to talk to me. All I could think was negative thoughts. I didn’t know what to expect. I reluctantly took the phone and took a deep breath before I spoke.

“Hello” I greeted, my heart beating a mile a minute.

“Hi, pretty lady!!!” the cutest little voice spoke through phone.

“Hi….who am I talking to?” I asked, unsure of how to go about the situation.

“My name is Reagan but my family calls me Rae-rae and I’m five years old.” the little girl responded. My heart softened at the voice of the little girl.

“It’s nice to meet you, Reagan. My name is Joyful. Why did you want to talk to me, hun?” I asked her.

“Because I saw your picture on my daddy’s phone. He said he was going far away to meet you because he really really likes you but I couldn’t come so he said that he would let me talk to you on the phone. Do you want to know a secret?” Reagan spoke in one breath.  I looked over at Storm who literally looked scared out of his mind.

“Sure.” I said with a smile as I crawled over to Storm and sat in his lap. I could feel his body relax a little.

“I like you too. I like you because you make my daddy happy. He laughs and smiles a lot.” She paused for a moment and then started to speak again.  “My Pawpaw said that my mommy is sleep forever. So I want an awake mommy. Will you be my awake mommy?” she asked.