Without Trust....There's Nothing

Storm

“What the hell is this, Joyful?” I asked, holding up my phone. She moved closer and saw that on my phone was a picture of her and Trey kissing.

“I can explain.” She said, confidently. My stare hardened.

“You better have an explanation.” I said through clenched teeth. I was pissed the hell off. It’s taking everything within me to not go off on her. It’s no reason why she should have allowed him to get that close to her.

“As a matter of fact, I aint gotta explain. Let’s go.” She said grabbing my keys and heading out of the apartment. I followed behind her after locking up.

She silently drove back over to the bakery. I followed her to the back of the bakery to her office. She sat behind her desk and logged onto the computer.

“Look.” She said with an attitude, standing up and crossing her arms.

            I sat in her chair and she pressed play on the security tapes from earlier this evening. I watched and listened to Trey’s interactions with Joy. I started to feel bad when I saw that Joy was standing up for me and she fended him off to the point of even slapping him. I was happy because for a brief moment I thought Joy was cheating on me.

“I’m sorry, ma.” I apologized when I looked and saw that a single tear had slid down her face. I stood up and tried to hug her but she snatched away from me.

“Don’t touch me!” she snapped. It hurt me to know that I hurt my girl.

            We returned home to the apartment and Joy still hadn’t said anything to me. I aint never seen her this mad; well at least with me. She as so mad that she made me sleep on the couch. It goes without saying that I got no sleep last night. I stayed up thinking about how I could make things up with Joy.

            When the sun finally started to rise, I decided to go for a morning run. Joy lived fairly close to this place known as the Culver City Stairs. Those stairs are a beast! I ran up and down those a couple of times and that was enough to clear my head.

            By the time I got back to Joy’s house, she was just getting out of the shower. Too nervous to speak, I grabbed a new set of underwear and clothes and went to take a shower. When I exited the bathroom Joy was plating breakfast.  I was surprised that she set a plate for me. I wasn’t one to pass up a meal so I sat down. We aint in silence until I finally decided to speak up.

“I’m sorry, Joy.” I said, sitting my fork down.

She offered no reply. She finished her last bite of food and stood up to clear the table. I walked up behind her as she stood at the sink.

“Talk to me Joy.” I said to her.  She just continued to wash the dishes.

“Damn it Joy!!! Talk to me! What is wrong with you?!” I said, finally fed up. 

“What’s wrong with me?!” she yelled pointing at herself. “Naw, nigga. What’s wrong with you? Did you honestly think that I would cheat on you?! You’re my fiancée, Storm. I don’t know what that means to you but to me it means that nothing or no one is going to get in the way or break us up. All that showed me last night was that you don’t trust me. And without trust, what is a relationship?!” She yelled. I stood there silently trying to take it all in.

“There is no relationship.” She said softly, slipping off her engagement ring and sitting it on the counter.

“Wait Joyful. No don’t do this!” I begged. She grabbed her purse and keys and headed for the door. “Joy where are you going?” I asked.

“If you must know, Faith and I are taking Reagan out for a girl’s day.” She told. Without another word she got in her car and sped off.

I looked down at the engagement ring in my hand. I pulled out my phone and mad a  phone call to the man that I knew could help me make things right.

"Noriah get over to Joy's house now. I messed up."

***************************

Just a little teaser!!! Leave some comments below. I really appreciate ya'll showing my book some support! Dont forget to check out the opening of my book called, "The Center". I actually want to work toward self-publishing with that one. So do me a favor and leave your thoughts. If I get at least five comments on "The Center" i'll post an update of Joyful Storm tomorrow afternoon.:-)