Chapter 35: Final Countdown

Normani Phillips POV
I nervously tapped my nails on the steering wheel as I aggressively took a deep breath. I was stuck in traffic. Why at this very moment? I needed to watch Angelo, Mario and Nathan play in the finals tonight and I couldn't be late.

"GET A MOVE ON!" I honked my horn a few times.

I threw my head back and just sat there. My phone vibrated on the passenger seat. I picked it up and looked at the caller ID. Nathan was calling me and I bit down on my lip, wanting to not answer.

"Hello?".

"Where you at? The game is starting in like 5 minutes." I heard Angelo's voice.

"Angelo? I'm stuck in traffic. I should be there soon. Don't worry. Just try and spot me in the crowd." I mentioned.

"Alright." He said before hanging up.

-

I managed to arrive 2 halftimes later. I was beyond pissed. Some guys argued, many honked their horns. All because of a car accident. I was happy that it wasn't me, it could've been anybody.

"Sorry..excuse me? Sorry.." I said trying to get to my seat.

I looked at the court and spotted Angelo looking out for me. His couch shouted something out but when he saw me, his face lit up. He smiled and I waved back. All the players got into their positions and the game started.

"Where were you?" Trinity questioned.

"Stuck in traffic." I explained.

"Sh.." LJ looked at us both.

"Shut up, LJ." I shook my head.

I looked towards the court and stopped Nathan. The 3rd game started. It was so intense. The scores were 82-80. Nathan's team was winning. I bounced my leg because I was really nervous. I just really hoped that they could win.

Nathan Phillips POV
I bounced the ball and threw it to my left so Mike could receive it. I looked around the court, out of breath and ran into space. Angelo bounce passed the ball to me and I got ahold of it. I was doing this for my family. My parents, my siblings, the team and Traci. I promised her that if we win, I'd take her to Paris for the weekend.

As I was about to dribble the ball, my ankle twisted, making me fall to the ground and let the ball slip out of my grip. It all went so slow. My team stopped moving and so did the opposition. I closed my eyes and slowly shook my head. I couldn't hear what everyone was saying until I heard Angelo's voice.

"Nah! That ain't fair! He tripped Nathan on purpose! You thought we all didn't see that!".

I looked up and saw Angelo getting angry. I couldn't move my right foot. My coach came over and a bunch of people from the medical team. I then shifted my eyes to Traci who looked worried as hell. My father was holding on to Hayden who was busy playing with his iPad. I gave Normani a weak smile and she returned one. I didn't want my family to worry.

"Phillips, can you move your leg?" Coach asked.

"I can't move my right foot." I shook my head.

A stretcher was brought along and they all lifted me up, placing me on it. I really wanted to win this shit. I really did. Now I've probably got a broken ankle or some shit. Basketball was my dream; winning the finals was my dream.

"Mario." I called him.

"Yo. Wassup?" He came over.

"Make sure y'all bring the trophy home." I slapped hands with him.