Chapter 1: "Part of that World"

I swam around excitedly, looking around for my best friend, Shelly. My blue fin swished through the water as fast as I could and my brown hair was traveling behind my head as I swam faster. I finally saw my blond-haired, pink-finned friend and swam up to her.

"Shelly! You're not going to believe what I found!" I exclaimed excitedly.

Shelly groaned and asked, "Is this another human/mutant artifact, Jamie?"

"Yes and don't be such a downer. This stuff is really interesting," I pouted slightly as I pulled out a silver object from the side of my red shells.

"What is it?" she wondered.

"Well, I was told it's either a dingle hopper or a fork. And whatever I feel like using it for, that's what it is," I explained then ran it through my hair.

"What are you doing?" she asked, confused.

"A dingle hopper is used to brush your hair while a fork is used for eating," I explained.

"Well, if you eat with that, make sure you clean it," Shelly responded.

I laughed and said, "I can assure you, I will. Come on, let's go put this in my grotto."

We swam to this small cavern with a boulder in front of it. We moved it out of the way and swam inside. I looked around at all my treasures, the only light sources being the sun shining through the water and a small test tube of mutagen. But the test tube was strong glass that could not even be destroyed by my father's magic trident. Shelly sat down as I just hovered in the water, looking at my collection.

"Did it ever occur to you that your father would kill you if he knew you had this?" Shelly asked me.

I looked at her with a sad look as I answered, "I know he would. That's why he can't know. But I don't understand why he hates humans and mutants so much."

"I don't know either. But I take him for his word," Shelly stated.

I sighed and said, "If only I could make my father understand. I just don't see how a world that makes such wonderful things could be so bad."

"Part of that World"

[Jamie:]
"Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has everything?

Look at this trove, treasures untold
How many wonders can one cavern hold?
Lookin' around here you'd think
Sure, she's got everything

I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty
I've got whooz-its and whatz-its galore
You want thingamabobs?
I got twenty
But who cares? No big deal
I want more

I want to be where the people are
I want to see
Want to see 'em dancing
Walking around on those
Whadd'ya call 'em? Oh, feet

Flipping your fins you don't get too far
Legs are required for jumping, dancing
Strolling along down a
What's that word again? Street

Up where they walk
Up where they run
Up where they stay all day in the sun
Wandering free, wish I could be
Part of that world

What would I give if I could live
Out of these waters?
What would I pay
To spend a day warm on the sand?
Betcha on land, they understand
That they don't reprimand their daughters
Bright young women, sick of swimming
Ready to stand

And I'm ready to know what the people know
Ask 'em my questions and get some answers
What's a fire and why does it
What's the word? Burn?

When's it my turn? Wouldn't I love
Love to explore that shore above?
Out of the sea, wish I could be
Part of that world"

I hugged Shelly as I kept thinking about how my father would react to this. We sat down until we heard someone clearing his throat and my blood ran cold with fear. I turned to see my "babysitter" and crab friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Sounds like Jamie's caught, but can you blame her being curious about the world above?