Missing

"You're missing class... again..." Flynn sighed, leaning back against a nearby wooden post, staring out across the forest alongside Arya.

She'd been running around all day, evading the Disciplinary Committee with remarkable ease as she scoured every place of the school. Velvet was nowhere to be found, though. No matter how hard she'd looked she hadn't spotted hair or hide of the brunette who'd told her everything she knew about the school. Flynn had caught up with her soon after, with his uncanny ability to figure out where the hell she was at any given time.

"Do you believe them?" She pulled her knees up to her chest, staring out from the small gazebo she'd taken refuge in when it'd started to rain. "Do you think she's guilty?"

"So that's what you're all worked up about..." He sighed, wandering over to where she sat on the small bench. One hand landed on Arya's head, ruffling her hair slightly, a sad smile on his face as he turned back to the woods. "I won't lie. There's a high chance she is the one responsible..."

Arya sniffled.

"But I suppose there's a chance she's not behind it all..." He said, eyes narrowed as the wind howled. "Either way she needs to be brought in for questioning. There's too much that doesn't add up... like the fact she was researching the very spots where the bodies are turning up..."

"Bodies?"

"You and that other girl." He sat down. "You're supposed to be dead, Ari-bear... and you would be, if you didn't have that insane healing ability."

"I don't get what's going on." Tears leaked down her cheeks. "Everyone around me is saying Velvet's the one who tried to kill me... but she's my friend. Friends don't do that."

"We'll get to the bottom of things. Don't you worry." Flynn smiled, continuing to ruffle her hair as she leant into his shoulder.

"How long will that take, though?"

"I don't know."

"And if Velvet's innocent?" She sighed, staring out across the dreary landscape. "What if she's the next victim?"

"We're watching the other three Power Spots on the grounds... so our culprit is going to have to be very careful unless they want to get caught. It's unlikely they'll make their move anytime soon."

Arya turned her gaze to the wooden flooring. "I've been wanting to ask this for a while... but what exactly are the Five Power Spots?"

Flynn shook his head. "I suppose there's no point in hiding it from you..." He said, sitting back on the bench. "They're what hold up a large protective barrier over the entire school which prevents any outside forces from being able to enter via an unauthorised portal."

"Umm... In simple terms?"

"It stops any bad guys from teleporting themselves here."

"Oh."

"There are five sigils carved in those areas, and if all five of them are broken... well, it's not a good situation to be in... Even with only two down, the barrier's weakened..." He shrugged. "Plus, there's only one man capable of actually laying those sigils, and he's rather hard to contact, but Headmistress Wren is on it... so it probably won't be too long."

Arya smiled, remembering her various encounters with the child-like headmistress. "Yeah."

"Just wait a little longer." He said, resisting the urge to mess up her hair more than he already had. "Everything will work out."

"I hope so too."

A comfortable silence fell between them, the sound of pouring rain the only noise until footsteps reached their ears, curses greeting them as the other Commander of the White Division stepped in a puddle.

"Flynn!"

"Blaine... What're you doing out here?" He turned the greet the irate figure stumbling into the gazebo.

"We've been summoned."

"That sounds... ominous..." Arya mumbled, freezing as his stare pierced her like an arrow.

"You can come along too, truant." He scowled, hooking a finger under the collar of her coat, dragging her behind him as he stepped back out into the pouring rain. "There's a little silver slip with waiting for you on my desk."

"She's been having a rough time..." Flynn said, running a hand through his hair. "Cut her some slack."

"Your judgement is clouded when it comes to this one." He sighed, continuing to trudge back towards the school. "We're meeting up in the Black Division Headquarters. The usual meeting room. I'll meet up once I've dealt with your little mentee."

"I can deal with her-"

"I'll be handling all matters concerning Arya Cross from now." Blaine cut him off, glaring at him. "You're too soft on her. She's got away with far too much under your watch."

"I'm standing right here, you know..." The girl in question said, her shoulders slumped as she was dragged off into the heart of the White Division.

"Right." He folded his arms, having pushed her into his office. "I need to rush off. I've told my second-in-command that you're supposed to wait here till I get back – so don't even try to run off. We've got a lot to discuss."

"Whatever." She huffed, sinking into his office chair, not bothering to watch as he rolled his eyes, shutting the door behind him as he left her to her devices.

Not the best idea he'd had.

Not when he had paperwork on his desk.

Paperwork Arya wasn't supposed to see.

Her eyes narrowed, having found the small thick piece of card, her eyes glued to the symbol drawn on in a dark yellowish ink, the clear block print making her freeze as she sat at Blaine's desk.

She'd seen it before.