Chapter Eighteen: Le changement

Tamari looked up towards the darkened sky. A sigh escaped her lips. She sniffed the air, and a worried look crossed her face. "The full moon will be rising soon."

Nathan loosely locked his arms around her waist from behind now that she acknowledged his presence.

"I know, meaning we have to get there quickly." He mumbled into her ear, watching as a group of clouds floated by. "What if we are too late? A new Changling is chaos. He is going to hurt one of the fish." Tamari groaned. "Now now, be nice. You know the mers' don't like to be called fish."

"But they used to call us mutts and dogs all the time!" Tamari complained, turning in his arms. Her bottom lip popped out. Tamari only softened up around him. "That was before we agreed on a compromise. Now we allow the mermaids to mate with the werewolves to bring up population up as long as we stay on seperate land. We live in...a complicated harmomy, and we do not name call anymore." He said, kissing her pout. She huffed and nodded.

"We're ready." Sean's voice echoed through the night. They turned around to face him, and lingering only a few feet behind his form were those of his pack. Dozens of them. Many had stern firm looks planted on their faces. They didn't approve of this midnight trip. The children looked sleepy and perplexed.

Tamari sighed and put her head in her hand. "We didn't mean all of you..."

"But you said-"

Alpha Nathan cut Sean off. "We know what we said, but we didn't mean all of you. We have lost too many pups as it is with water. We don't need any more drowning. The she-wolves are to stay here and care for the youngsters." With that said, the females gripped the hands of their children and led them away, whereas the unpaired females, including Lottie, stalked off into different directions. Leaving few people left.

The pack consisted of more females than males. The females produced the children, the males were dominant and guarded the females. It was just that simple.

Sean looked up at the sky. Nathan and Tamari followed his gaze. The full moon was rising. That wasn't good, any minute now, their new lamp-garou would shift. They had to go.

Now.

***

"Thank you, for stargazing and...stuff." Anita said awkwardly when they returned back to the cabin. He shrugged.

"It is time to rest." Crystal said, slipping into the cabin. There was a genuine smile on her face, as if the conversation she and Norah had earlier never happened. Anita nodded. Aaron waved a goodnight and departed. Crystal watched as Anita pulled the covers over herself and laid down. She sat on the edge of the bed.

"Can I say something that I thought I would never say a day in my life?" Anita asked. "Of course." Crystal said, absorbed. "I want to go back to school." Anita mumbled. Crystal laughed. "You can't run away from what you are." She purred.

"I can try."

"You won't get very far."

"Maybe so, but I can try."

"Why do you dislike your being?"

Anita wasn't sure how to answer. "I just don't-"

"Ahhhh!"

Aaron grunted. He was so loud. Anita jumped, Crystal's eyes widened as she got up from the bed. She strode quickly to the tassels. Anita rose to follow. "Stay." Crystal demanded. It was the first time she had sounded so harsh. Anita shrunk back on the bed and watched her leave.

Aaron held his head. Pain surged through his body, his head pounding.

"Crystal!" Aaron groaned.

"Crystal!" Norah called.

She looked from the cabin to the direction of her sister's voice.

"Crystal! I need you now!" Norah cried out again.

Family first.

She ran in the direction of her sister's voice.

"What is it Norah?" She asked. Norah pointed towards the water. Heads began surfacing. There was a female, and a male.

"It's Tamari and Nathan." Norah concluded.

"And friends." Crystal noticed the group that surfaced behind the two. Crystal and Norah stepped back, the weres' coming up on the sand. They had came by water. "Crystal." Nathan said, stepping in front if her. "Nathan." She looked him over, the water dripped from him.

"Ahhh!"

All heads snapped to the voice. They ran to the pained sound. "What is wrong with him?" Anita asked, running from her lodge to approach his. She could do nothing but watch Aaron thrash around on the bed whilst the others held him down. "He's a lamp-garou...he's going through le changement." Tamari said, guiding her out of the cabin.

Anita knew latin. She didn't remember what a lamp-garou was, but she knew that le changement was 'the change.'

Question was...what change?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I apologize that it was short. Please comment, fan, and vote. <3

P.S.: I need more reads! Should I continue this...