He'll Fit Right In

*Cynthia's POV*

"so, what's your name?" I asked softly as he sat across a small table from me and Ben.

"Simon." He said simply.

"my name's Cynthia. And this is Ben." I said gesturing to him. Simon nodded and looked back at me.

"do you know Laughing Jack?" He asked simply. My eyes widened and Ben and i exchanged a look.

"w-who's he?" Ben asked with a horrible poker face.

"he's my best friend. He gives me candy all the time and sometimes, he tells me about Cynthia, Ben, and Darren. Those are his other friends.

"i see..." I said shakily. Simon gave me an odd look.

"huh." he said dumbfounded. "they usually leave by now."

I looked at Ben and he looked at me. I think this kid was the right one... And if we didn't adopt him, then he'd be killed by Laughing Jack. I didn't want that. I reached across the table and took ahold of his hand. Ben did the same with Simon's other hand. I looked at Simon with soft eyes.

"we're not going to leave you."

His eyes widened. "really?"

"really." Said Ben reassuringly. "i think it'd be the right choice to adopt you."

Simon didn't have to say anything. His reaction was enough. He ran around the table and hugged both of us. We amiled and hugged back.

"so am i going today?" He asked cheerfully.

"not today." Said Ben. "but we'll visit once every week."

Simon nodded with a grin and the door opened. It was the old woman.

"everything... Alright in here?" She asked causiously.

"yes ma'am." Ben said proudly. "we were just about to talk to you."

She nodded and looked at Simon who left the room to go back. She eyed us sadly.

"i am so sorry." She said quickly. "we're not responcible for what he says. We don't teach anything like-"

"we'll take him." Ben said sternly. That made her shut up. She nodded quickly and made her way to her desk.

After the papers were filled out and we decided on a date to pick him up, we left the orphanage.

"he'll fit right in." I said softly as we walked back to the mansion.

"i'm sure of it." Ben said while tightening his grip on my hand. "i just need to get something through Jack's thick skull."

he kissed me and started stomping to the mansion. I watched his hands ball into fists.

"that bastard won't lay a hand on our son."