3

"Zach, really?" Jonah said, sighing at His best friend's proposal. Zach nodded.

"I wanna see where he runs off to, Jo." He Shrugged. Jonah shook his head.

"But it's wrong!" The older teen flung his arms up in the air. "It's stalking!" He said. Zach sighed.

"I suppose you're right." He said, disappointed. The truth is, Zach wanted to find out more about the shy boy and get to know him better.

"Thank god!" Jonah said, smiling.
What Zach didn't know was that Jonah knew a lot more about the teen than Zach thought.

***

The two boys walked home in silence. Not because they had an argument, but because the curly haired boy was right behind them.

A middle aged woman walked past him and said hello. He waved at her.

15 minutes later, a couple in their old age walked past and asked him how he was. He gave them a thumbs up, and the man patted his shoulder.

"Good lad," He said to the teen.

Only a little later the boy split from the other two teens who were heading to the ice cream shop.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Zach turned to Jonah, clearly excited.

"Why is he so shy?" Zach asked.

"I dunno," Jonah shrugged, trying to hide his lie. He did so successfully only to make Zach ask even more questions.

"Why does he run away from everyone? Why doesn't he make any friends?" Zach said, clearly intrigued by the curly haired boy. Jonah sighed out of frustration. He knew Jack and he hurt him. Zach continued, ignoring the fact his friend was uncomfortable.

"Why doesn't he speak to anyone? Why doesn't he ever say anything?"

Jonah ran a hand through his hair. He didn't want to expose the boy and lose more of the little trust he had earned but at the same time he felt he needed to feed of the younger teen so his curiosities stayed at bay for at least a little while. Jonah sighed again before looking at the boy.

"He's mute, Zach." The younger teen snorted with laughter, clearly amused by what his friend had just informed him of.

"Yeah, right." He said. "He's probably just shy, Jo." The older teen looked down, anger lingering in his body. "you can't really make assumptions like that," the anger was threatening to post out of his body like an unforgiving volcano pouring lava all over the village spat it's base.

"I'm going home." Jonah muttered, not wanting to endure the company of the kid any longer. He span on his heel and walked off, leaving Zach wondering what he did wrong.