Chapter 2 • Alps

"Covered in everything
Coveted all at once
Everything covering
Everything all at once"

Alps // Novo Amor and Ed Tullett

***

"I forgot how comfy your bed is," Abby says, snuggling into my side.

"That means it's been too long," I jokingly chide and press a kiss to her head, earning a hum of appreciation. "Hey, this is somewhat random, but do you remember that time you snuck over to my house in the middle of the night during our eighth year because we had a fight in Maths class earlier?"

"Mhm, I felt so bad for what I said and I had to apologize. We made up and you didn't want me to go home because it was too late, even though my house was just down the street, and we fell asleep in your bed and your mum found us that morning, and we were all, 'It's not what you think!'"

"Yeah, then she called your mum and-" I sigh with a smile. "Good times. Wish we could go back, love. Wish I could go back. After today, I-"

I close my mouth, but it's too late.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get out of my exam to go with you. How'd it go?"

"Don't apologize, Abs. Think of how many animals will be saved because you took your exam, that I know you aced, and in three months, you'll graduate and finally be Abigail Tucker, VN, pet life saver extraordinaire."

I inhale deeply and let the breath out slowly, hoping my run-on sentence distracted her.

"What happened at your chemo appointment today?"

Damn. So much for my brill distraction.

"Harry," she chides. "What happened?"

I shake my head and her small hand cups my cheek, gently turning my head and two tears roll down my cheeks.

I can't tell her. Not yet.

My eyelids flutter as she dries my tears and I finally look in her eyes that are now just as shiny as mine.

"How long, love?"

"A month or so," I exhale sharply at my words. "I'm so fucking scared, Abs."

"You'll be okay," she coos. "Just think of it as a nice long nap."

"No, I'm not scared of dying, Abigail. I'm scared of, of you not knowing exactly how I feel about you. Abby, I-, I love you, like love love you, and have for quite some time. I don't expect you to say or do anything out of pity, but I had to let you know how I feel, y'know, before I die."

God, I feel better. Oh shit. What does that look mean? I have to find out even if the reason isn't in my favor.

"Abby, I-"

"I love you, too, Harry."

Holy shit. No, she couldn't possibly.

"Don't pity me, Abs," I warn and she shakes her head.

"I'm not pitying you. I'm in love with you, Harry Styles. I've always been in love with you."

My diseased brain doesn't have time to process her sweet words because her lips are on mine; so delicate, so soft, so unbelievably more than I've ever dreamed it would be.

Sighing into our kiss, I cup her cheek and she pulls away, resting her forehead on mine.

"You can taste it, can't you?" I ask and she nods gently. "Sorry."

"It's not your fault," she whispers and I open my eyes to hers. "Can I?"

I feel her fingertips slip underneath the cotton fabric and I nod. As she gently pushes the beanie off my head, I close my eyes at the feeling of being exposed and vulnerable.