Chapter 9 • Embody Me

"Stow your love with me
My body needs your body heat"

Embody Me // Novo Amor

***

"It was a lovely service," Abby says, earning a small smile from Mum. "I think Harry would be pleased at the turnout."

Those in attendance have all said the exact same thing, more or less during this reception time. The depressing color black and somber expressions have filled the small banquet room for the reception after my memorial service.

The turnout of three dozen people makes me realize that I was loved and that I made an impact on others and it brings me a sense of accomplishment.

Mum acknowledges Abby with a nod and I can tell she's trying to hold it together.

"Now what are your plans? You can stay with me and Gemma for as long as you want or need," Mum offers. "Just know that I plan to go to Harry's flat this weekend to pack his things to bring back home, so if there's anything you'd want to have, just let me know."

"Okay," Abby's voice quivers and she exhales a breath. "I uhm, I think I'll just head home now. You're all set with Gemma to keep you company and I've got to get back to work and my classes."

"That's understandable, just don't be a stranger now. You're part of this family."

"I can't tell you how much I appreciate that, Anne. I'll give you a ring later in the week, if that's alright."

"That would be lovely. Safe travels home now."

Abby hugs Mum goodbye before walking over to the table where she's kept her purse and drink on and she takes a look at the projector screen at the front of the reception hall. The picture slideshow is still rolling in time with my favourite song, Flowers In The Window, and I must admit that I had a pretty good life.

But I wasn't done living.

"I guess this is goodbye for real," Abby says, catching me completely off guard. "Bye, Harry. I'll always love you."

Now wait a second, Abby. I'm your wingless angel, so I'm coming with you. It's like I'm stuck to you forever.

Not that I'm complaining.

With a smirk, I follow Abby out of the building and since Mum chose an early time for the service and reception, it'll still be daylight for the three-hour drive back home.

I watch Abby walk in her simple black dress and high heels that she's only worn for one other occasion such as this and knowing her, I bet she can't wait to change into some comfortable clothes.

Once we're in her car, she turns the engine on and plugs her phone into the car charger. She takes the hair tie from the gearshift and I watch with a fond smile as she pulls her hair into a messy bun.

It's like your signature hairstyle, yeah? I wonder now that I have my hair back if it'll grow long enough to have a man bun.

A gentle revving of the engine brings me out of my thoughts and Abby starts maneuvering her way through the parking lot. As we start on our way home, I sit back with my elbow on the car door ledge and hold my head up with my hand.

If you don't play any music, these three hours are gonna be really boring for you, Abs. For me, on the other hand, time is essentially timeless. I could blink and we'd be in your flat. Almost like a genie.

Wait.

Am I a genie instead of an angel?

"Oh no," Abby sniffs, reaching over to the glove compartment and I move my legs by instinct.