Chapter 15 • State Lines

"I've been awake in every state line
dyin' to make it last us a lifetime"

State Lines // Novo Amor

***

"Have I ever told you how good you look in those scrubs?" I smirk, eyeing Abby's backside from head to toe.

As she puts on my leather jacket, which has now become hers, she looks at me through the reflection of her closet door mirror.

"No because we weren't a couple before . . . y'know, and I probably would've junk punched you had you said that."

"Probably," I agree with a chuckle, walking over to her and I stop behind her. With my arms around her waist, I peck her cheek and she turns around. "Good thing we're a couple now, yeah?"

"An engaged couple," she playfully corrects and I happily nod. "Oh shit, we better go," she hurries over to her desk to grab her things. "I don't want to be late for class, especially since I missed so much already. Are you ready?"

"I guess so. It's not like I need to get my book bag or scramble to finish homework."

Abby stops in her tracks, looking at me with a sad expression and she shakes her head as if to clear her thoughts.

"Alright then, let's go."

As we make our way to the kitchen, Abby pulls her hair into a messy bun and glances back at me. She winks at me, creating imaginary butterflies in my stomach and she turns the corner.

"Good morning, Paulette."

"Morning to you, too," Paulette says, looking up from her cereal bowl. "You're in a good mood."

"That's what a good night's sleep will do for you."

"Very true," Paulette agrees. "I made coffee."

That's what that heavenly aroma is.

"Wonderful. That's just what I need," Abby walks over to the cupboard and grabs her thermos. "See you later at the clinic?"

"I'll be there," Paulette replies, standing from the small breakfast table and she takes her empty bowl over to the sink. "Hey, how are you doing this morning?"

"Much better, I promise," Abby answers, keeping her attention on the cream and sugar she's adding to her coffee.

"Okay. I won't worry about you then."

"What? Of course you don't need to worry about me. I'm fine," Abby looks over at me and smiles. "I'm more than fine. Okay I've got to go now or else I'll really be late," she pecks Paulette's cheek and grabs her thermos and a banana. "See you later."

I follow Abby out the door and she shuts it behind us, fitting her eyes to mine and we start walking over to her car.

"I really want to tell her that you're here with me."

"Abigail, no. This is-, this is-, hell, even I don't understand it so what makes you think Paulette will? Or anybody for that matter. She'll probably even take you to a mental institution!"

"Oh calm your tits. She'd never do that," Abby dismisses my concern, clicking her car unlocked and we get inside.

As she buckles her seatbelt, I remind myself to not lose my cool because I'm genuinely worried about what could happen if word got out that I'm alive again.

Well, sort of.

"Want to listen to some music?" Abby asks, already plugging in her phone into the Auxiliary.